Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The year in pictures, part 2

One of the lessons I have learned this year (actually the last 6 months) is that a "good picture" is one I like. Yea, I know... light, exposure, depth of field, framing, multiple layers, bla bla bla. But as an amateur, it is really easy to get so intimidated that I just stop shooting. Which is what happened. If you don't know... I run in circles of really good photographers. I was just thinking the other day: Bruce, Rick, Sarah, Katie, Denise, Matt (all professionals or headed that way...) and then we have Jared, Jeff, Maria, Beth... amateurs who know what they are doing and produce some good images. So it is easy for me to not show my work because it pales in comparison to the work of my friends.

I already wrote that this spring I took a photography class. The funny thing (that my wife pointed out to me) is that during the class, and for about 2 months afterward, I basically didn't shoot a lot. I think I was just too worried about the "outcome."

But the truth is, I really like taking pictures. Yes, I like it because it captures a moment that is important to me. I like it because I really do looking at the images I produce. But I also like it because I like the physical act of shooting pictures. (Is that strange?) I find it relaxing, stimulating; it allows me to be creative.

I like the person I am with a camera.

Final confession: as much as I like the "instant gratification" of shooting digital, I kind of miss my old Nikon N65 film camera. I sort of miss shooting and not knowing how it comes out... if it comes out. And don't laugh at me, one morning a couple of years ago, I didn't have any film... but I just went out and "shot" pictures anyway. I'm such a nerd.

7 comments:

jared said...

To get the feel of not knowing back again, you can change your prefs to not show you the image on the screen after it's shot. Then, you'll just need the willpower not to press the play button.

rachel said...

I have enjoyed your recent posts! haven't read in awhile, but maybe I will start being a regular again!!!

Anonymous said...

(!!!)

Anonymous said...

apparently my pseudonym is now the michigan department of transportation.

silly keystrokes.

paul said...

wow.. now you are mdoG

Anonymous said...

Paul,
It takes quite a bit of humility and strength to post pictures for all to see. I have nothing but respect for where you have come and where you are going as a creative and visual person. I too used to be very intimidated to show my work and well sometimes I will confess I still am. I realized though that my passion for photography far outweighs my fear of criticism and rejection. I too like the person I am behind a camera. It is then that I see the world around me most clearly. Viscom taught me that there will always be someone better, and more creative than me. But that does not take away the creative gifts that God gave me and does deter from the unique way I have of seeing the world through a lens. So keep shooting, keep showing. You are off to amazing start and I renjoy looking at your photos. I ike seeing how your heart comes out in your photography. You constantly remind me that some of the best photographs can come from our own back yard.

Katie

paul said...

thanks Katie... coming from you that is quite a complement.