Friday, January 05, 2007

Deeper Blogging

So just an observation...

A lot of people write some really profound things on blogs. And they do it in some really compelling ways. There really are some great writers out there.

Writing has never been my strength... so I'm sorry I'm not more profound and deep at times. But as part of my New Years Resolutions, I have decided to be more profound. So again, I just want to apologize to you all for my years of surfacey posting.

This is the turkey I deep fried on New Years Day. I'm not a vegetarian, but there is something about working with raw poultry that could make anyone swear off meat for a lifetime. Cleaning a turkey (if you have never done it) is not an enjoyable experience. And... quite honestly... the whole thing is pretty undignified for the turkey. I mean they shove its head up its...

But this picture makes me think of people who donate their bodies to science... medical schools, etc. I, for one, am glad that there are people secure enough out there to do this... I am not one of them. One of my best friends in High School was a nurse. And where she SAID they always respected the cadaver they were working on... I heard some stories.

But I digress... back to the turkey. First you clean it, then dry it well, put the turkey on this rack, you annoint it with spices (getting it ready for its final demise). Then you drop it in hot oil and cook it. Then you pull it out... and it does not always look that great... again, pretty degrading for this poor turkey.

So, of course, I took a picture of it.

Deep fried Turkey is good. You can cook one in 45 minutes and, surprisingly, it's not as bad for you as you might think at first (especially if you don't eat the skin, but then again...)

The nutritional information is as follows; 3.5 ounces of deep fried turkey has approximately 190 calories and 11 grams of fat, while the same size portion of regular roasted turkey breast typically contains about 165 calories and 7 grams of fat. So an extra 25 calories... about the same as a serving of brussle sprouts. And I ask you...which would you rather have?


Frying a turkey is not rocket science. It basically involved a big pot, a heat source, 3 gallons of peanut oil (my oil of choice), an electronic meat thermometer, and a love for pyrotechnics. Fortunately, I have always had the latter, and my in-laws gave me the former for Christmas.

You got to love a meal that you can blow up things while cooking it.

Pretty profound post, eh?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

so i'm a little disturbed by the first picture. is the turkey... plugged in?

"...I have decided to be more profound." - how does that work, exactly? let me know how it goes.

i'm pretty sure the deepest thing in this post is that cleaned-out turkey. :P

paul said...

"so i'm a little disturbed by the first picture. is the turkey... plugged in?"

Oh my, that is funny! No, that is my handy-dandy, trusty, new, wireless thermometer! Yep. We all need one. (Yes, I know it has a wire... but... oh I will show it to you!)

As I re-read that post, it was supposed to be funnier than it actually reads. There is this statement about a new commitment to being profound and then the next thing you see is this raw turkey. It would have been funnier if I was preaching it and the turkey suddenly appeared on the screen. (Hummmm.)

Also, did you catch the interesting paragraph break and subsequent word choice to begin a new paragraph?

Butt of course, if you have to explain subtile humor, it's not that funny. :O)

Anonymous said...

"so, ya see, it's funny because..."

don't worry, i got the irony. i did not, however, catch the paragraph break on the first read... so subversive, you are.

wireless thermometer: includes wire. hmmmmm.

jeannie said...

hI! randomly came across your blog when i pressed "next blog" - love the photography!

paul said...

thanks Jeannie

paul said...

And btw, "subtile" humor is humor that is told beneath a floor where tile is laid. I was writing that comment while in a room just beneath the upstairs bathroom... which is why I chose to use "subtile" humor.

This is different from "subtle humor", which is humor that is hidden and cleaver... showing the wit of the one telling it.

Anonymous said...

of course! you have to think about subtle humor. it's not like getting hit over the head with a 2x4, or, say, a meat cleaver.