Monday, January 15, 2007

I should have known...

So I have a friend who keeps lending me albums... usually of people I have never heard of before. The normal way this works is she says, "Hey, I think you would like this..." and she hands me a CD. It then sits on the island in my kitchen for several weeks or until I take a car ride of substantial length.

And then I listen to it...

And then I say, "Why didn't I listen to this earlier!!!!!"

So I've been listening to Andrew Peterson... of course given to me by this same friend...and it is really good. He reminds me of Rich Mullens (who is a hero of mine) not just in sound, but also style. There is a bit of cynic, poet, prophet, and "guy next door I want to hang out with" mixed together. I first got hooked by the words to the opening song off this album, "Land of the Free." It reminds me of Honduras.

"Appendix A" is largely a live recording... and I am a HUGE fan of live recordings. Quite honestly, if every CD was recorded live, I would be mostly okay with that. There is an energy that happens live that is hard to capture in a studio. And you get to get a "sense" of who he is... beyond his lyrics, which are pretty raw and honest anyway.

So... join me is rushing out and buying this. Until then, Mdog will just have to do without her CD.

3 comments:

paul said...

Well, I went to buy it and they no longer are selling it. Drat

Is "Land of the Free" recorded on another CD?

Anonymous said...

well it's ABOUT TIME. why does no one ever trust my music choices?

i'm almost certain "land of the free" is a hidden track on "clear to venus"... but of course, i don't have that cd. as a bonus, it wouldn't have all the goofy locations added into the live version.

by the way, i think we need to use "flesh and blood" for communion. because really, we can only play "once again" so many times as the default song. i'm in the process of making a cd for jake...

Anonymous said...

also: you know that "three days before autumn" is written about rich mullins, right?