Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I will always be Blue...

And that is a good thing.

A old friend of mine is one of my newest readers (Welcome!). Just hearing from him and reading his blog has made my reflect on a previous life. It is a life that is long past and will never return, but was a good thing.

I was privileged to be a member of the Bluecoats, a drum and bugle corps based out of Canton. I (along with pjeff) played lead soprano (trumpet) and got to play high, loud and fast. It was a trip. At one point in the show, 6 of us went out front and got to play high loud and fast together. (In this picture, pjeff is the one on the right of the line of 6 down front, I'm the guy right next to him to his left.) There was the official "written version" of the sextet, (which was pretty high and loud) and there was the version we made up... which was much higher and louder. Sometimes after the shows, a group of "fans" would come to the busses as we were putting our stuff away and we would play the "higher, louder, faster" version... which to them was the coolest thing. About 3 minutes of 15 minutes of fame.

Pjeff was one of my heros. He had an amazing solo (that I got to play once when he was sick) that was... well, high and loud. (You see a theme here, don't you?) At the time, I didn't know all he was struggling through, but he later became a Christian and then a pastor. (So that makes at least two of us! I'm not sure anyone in that line would have ever thought either of us would have been pastors... those were VERY different days for both of us.)

Honestly, I miss that part of my life. I've never been a person to live in the past. My best years are right now in so many ways. But that part of my life, now long gone, was great, and I wouldn't trade those years for anything. So if you ever find a 1988 Bluecoats CD, and are listening to "Autumn Leaves" (the closing song) and hear some people playing high and loud, now you know.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I could use a trumpet on "Ring of Fire."

Unknown said...

Wow brother!!! Where did you conjure up those old pictures. Thanks much for the hero comment. I had no idea. I was simply embarking upon the lead players passionate quest for the higher, louder, faster grail.

Do you ever hear from any of the old gang?

By the way, there is a third Bluecoat pastor now. And all three of us were from the sop line. Jay Brooks is in ministry here in PA. He was a skinny kid with redish brown hair that played 2nd sop. He was one of the PA crew.

I was also wondering, do you still do any magic. I will never forget the one day at the Boy's Club when you pushed a cigarette right through the middle of a quarter. You know...you never did tell me how you did that.

paul said...

No, the only one I hear from is... well.. you. I would love to hear from Frank P. I have googled him and checked on the alumni page... no luck.

I think we all need to start blogs.

Yea, I do some magic, but it takes more time than I am able/willing to give it. Occasionally I dust off some stuff but... well... you could say that magic is a vanishing art. :OP

Do you hear from Jay? Send him my way.

Anonymous said...

paul does still love to play with fog and lights, though. especially with dci playing in the background.

pastors, i don't trust 'em.






;)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
paul said...

"Ask and ye shall receive........heeeeere's Frank"

Way to go my friend. I think I will email him. Thanks.