Thursday, January 18, 2007

Okay, I'm Impressed

"This is an email I wrote tonight at 7 pm and sent to Andrew Peterson.

__________________________

Andrew (or maybe whoever is managing Andrew's email for him while he is off writing cool songs)

As a 39-year-old pastor, I am sad to say that I only recently discovered your music. A friend of mine lent me "Appendix A" -- largely for the song "Land of the Free" -- as a response to a blog post I wrote.

Anyway, I just love it. I was a big Rich Mullins fan and your music has that same mix of cynic, poet, prophet and "guy next door I want to hang out with" feel.

So I started buying up your stuff.

But I was saddened to learn that "Appendix A: Bootlegs and B-Sides" is no longer available. I read somewhere on your site that you are putting some as downloads on your site in the future...

BUT, seeing it was out of print, I was wondering if I could bootleg my friend's copy of "Bootleg?"

First, I would be happy to pay you anyway. I will send you the full amount.

Or second, if I find a copy of it, I will buy it... but I can't.

I want to honor copy-write and your work as an artist... but I really want that recording. :O)

Suggestions?

Thanks for the great music,

paul


____________

At 9:20... this shows up in my inbox...

_________________

Howdy, Paul. Thanks for the kind email. Being mentioned in the same context as Rich always freaks me out, as he was and is a huge influence on me spiritually and artistically. Feel free to burn the record. Thanks for listening!

AP"

_________________

Now I like the guy even more. Not that he gave me permission to copy his out of print CD, but he had the class to actually write back.

I'm impressed. Andrew Peterson is now on my list of "good eggs."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'll keep my eye out for ap concerts. he's hilarious and incredible in concert... you will love him. and he often forgets his own lyrics. endearing.

Anonymous said...

I have appendix A and it's good. Am also a HUGE Rich-fan, so I get that too.

I am glad Andrew wrote you back. Nice guy and good music, too!