Monday, January 29, 2007

The Swing

Mondays are hard for many pastors. It's funny, it's not talked about a lot, but there is an emotional brokenness/drain that happens for most pastors after they teach. I have a friend who is leaving ministry this year because of the "Monday Crash." He just can't handle it anymore and he fears it will cost him his marriage... or his soul.

Rob Bell spoke about this at the conference I just attended... and I almost cried. I was like, "Yea, that is exactly how I feel." And it was so weird to have someone name it so honestly. His "take on it" is that every time you are blessed, it was because someone else is broken and poured out. It is a spiritual thing that happens. It felt a bit strange because I had 6 folks from my congregation with me... and I felt like Rob was exposing part of my soul to them.

So it was Monday.

"God, some pieces have been taken out of me this week. I have taken some hits. I have poured myself out. I feel broken. I ask that you put me back together. And I will willingly do it again... for Your sake."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know what you mean brother. That's why I take Monday morning off and play with my four year old daughter for hours. It gets me out of the morning after funk. I don't know what I will do when she starts going to school.

By the way...I love the blog and this feedback interactive stuff is cool. I signed up on here. It's much easier to use than where my current (empty) blog is.

Patrick said...

This happens to me as a musician after a show or a creative session too. I think it's a brain drain thing. Pastors have lots of demands and expectations, both real and perceived. I think that makes it worse.