Saturday, December 10, 2005

Narnia

So Friday night... opening night for "Lion, Witch and Wardrobe," you can guess where me and 11 of my friends were, right? The evening began with some Mexican food for dinner and then the long car ride across the street to the movie theater. First, the Athena Grand Rocks as a movie theater, although the popcorn and soda prices require a second mortgage. But the seating is great and the angles and sight lines are fantastic.

And the move...

I don't think I have ever seen a movie that was better than the book. LWW is no exception. And for you Narnia addicts who have every nuance of the entire series of books memorized (not that I'm married to such a person, this is totally hypothetical, of course) but if there WAS such a person... no... the movie is not exactly like the book.

But in this reviewer's opinion... wow.

My opinion is worth the paper it is written on (but since I'm typing on my PowerBook G4, that's quite a lot). The plot is classic Lewis. The meaning and theology is solid. The effects are, overall, well done. And Asland is absolutely amazing.

Cough up $6, go to the Athena Grand, pull up a chair and head into the world of Narnia for a couple of hours. If you want some company, give me a call. I will see this one again.

3 comments:

mdog said...

how about movies 10? cheaper, closer, and you can probably find enough money for snacks in your couch cushions.

[aside: i want to see "walk the line" sometime too.]

Anonymous said...

it was good...not great. the witch was well cast, but the beavers were underdeveloped. overall, i enjoyed it, but i was deeply disappointed by aslan's death and resurrection scene (which, in my opinion, is some of c.s. lewis's finest writing). in the book, it makes me cry almost every time...but, in the movie, it just didn't seem that spectacular...and was easily trumped by the battle scenes. but maybe that's just hollywood trying to downplay the allegorical bits for the sake of not alienating their secular audience.

Anonymous said...

six dollars? where do you people live? ohio or somethin? try at least ten. -r