Monday, June 18, 2007

Thoughts from a week at Willow, part 1

"[This] can be seen, for instance, in children, when they find some game or joke that they specially enjoy. A child kicks his legs rhythmically through excess, not absence of life. Because children have abounding vitality, because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want things repeated and unchanged. They always say, 'Do it again,' and the grown-up person does it again until he is nearly dead. For grown-up people are not strong enough to exult in monotony.

But perhaps God is strong enough to exult in monotony.

It is possible that God says every morning, 'Do it again' to the sun, and every evening, 'Do it again' to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them. It may be that He has the eternal appetite of infancy; for we have sinned and grown old, and our Father is younger than we. The repetition in Nature may not be a mere recurrence; it may be a theatrical encore."

--G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy


"Creativity is a moment when we see, not redundancy, but opportunity."

--Nancy Beach, Willow Arts Conference

I feel that most of us are too "old" to see God in the moment. Most of us are too caught up in the minutia of life and the tasks at hand, to notice what a child would notice. I go for a walk and I want to get where I'm going. My daughter goes for a walk and it is the opportunity to point to every street sign, flower, dog... etc.

I often walk to this little restaurant several blocks from my house. I have passed this building countless times and never noticed it. It is actually a pretty neat building. A couple of weeks ago, I was out walking and for some reason, I noticed it. I walked up to it... I noticed the texture of the wood. I looked at the nails that held it together. I noticed the tin pealing off the roof. I really thought it was beautiful.

Nothing profound here, but maybe there is something to getting so caught in the repetition of our life that we miss out on all that is around us. Maybe one of the keys to creativity is breaking out of routine every once in a while to see things in a fresh way. This is one of the reasons I like photography. I try to force my self to see things in a different way that I normally would see them.

But doing new things takes effort. It takes some risk. I guess the question is, "Is it worth it?"

6 comments:

Kevin said...

I enjoy you, and your posts. The public (me) demands more pictures of Lydia, by the way. :)

bflick said...

We are too old! (yes, thats coming from a 23 year old) I know that in my old age I'm way to busy trying to get somewhere. Trying to accomplish something. If I would only slow down and pay attention to what I'm doing now... then I would actually accomplish something great. I'll be doing what my heart is passionate about now and not what I WANT my heart to be passionate about.

I learned at Willow that I don't need to spend hours of monotonous thought processes and research to come up with a piece of art all I have to do is close my eyes and dream.

Carrie said...

I agree with kevin, your daughter is too cute to keep in obscurity. :)
~Always~

Anonymous said...

I've said it before, but Paul, I am truly impressed with your photos. Keep it up.

Jennifer said...

Paul, have you ever read Manalive by G.K. Chesterton? It's a pretty short novel, but it demonstrates the lengths to which one man goes to notice the mundanely familiar as though it were brand new.

Very thoughtful post, btw. Orthodoxy is one of my favorite books.

The next few years will bring a lot of change for me, and some of that change could keep me from noticing the minute wonders around me. But I will try to keep that from happening to me.

paul said...

Kevin and Cabbie - I will keep 'em coming.

Beth - your story of closed eye creation was amazing... I hope you share that with some folks.

Jessi -- wow thanks. I really enjoy taking pictures (Be sure to check out my Am8ture Flickr account if you haven't already). Very kind of you to say that.

Jennifer - No, I have not read that one. I will put it on my list. Thanks.