Monday, June 25, 2007

40th Birthday

So Saturday I celebrated the big 4-0. My wife kidnapped me on Friday and took me to Cherry Valley Lodge for the weekend. She arranged it so I didn't have to preach on Sunday (a big thank you to Andrew for stepping in for me!)

It was a relaxing weekend. The lodge was nice. It seems they do a lot of weddings and events. It is set up around a court yard which has a pond and a path to walk around it. For a created thing, it is very well done. We got there late, had a late dinner in the lodge and then just hung out for a while.

The room was nice, kind of a suite-type set up with a living area, balcony, fridge... and a 16:9 flat panel TV which swiveled so you can watch it in the living room, bedroom or in the tub! (On Saturday we paid $11.50 for the in room movie and watched "Blades of Glory," but man, it's tough to beat Bob and Larry!)


Saturday afternoon we got up and went to Granville. Granville is one of those old, towns with big houses and tree-lined streets. We just wandered through the streets and went in stores and walked around. Again, for me, the key to a good vacation is moving slow with no agenda that I have to make up.

We had lunch at a place called the Buxton Inn. Nice place. Then we just wandered around. The truth is that this week was just slow moving... which is exactly what I wanted.

Okay, I have work to do. I will write more later.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. How weird. You took a vacation to the town that I grew up in. And, from the looks of it, that middle picture was taken across the street from my old house. (The red one with two front doors.)

I used to deliver flowers to the Cherry Valley Lodge for weddings and my sister was a busgirl at the Buxton Inn. And the cool hangout spot for the kids was to stay out late at the benches in the middle of town.

I'm glad you had a good time. You should go back for the Fourth of July if you get a chance. It's pretty fun. And Mayberrish.

paul said...

Yea, where were you? We stopped by your house for a glass of iced tea. :P

How strange. What is one person's boring hometown, is another's vacation destination.

liz said...

happy birthday paul! i'm really glad you were born.

Jennifer said...

Paul, it seems like you had the perfect birthday. It sounds like your wife, in addition to being one smart cookie, also knows you pretty well. :o)

paul said...

test