Thursday, June 14, 2007

Heros

If you look up the definition of the word "hero," most of it is about bravery, risking life, fighting in wars, etc.

To me, a hero is someone who makes your life better. Someone who, when you are around them, you want to be more like Jesus, even if that means just being more like them.

I'm not into hero worship... I'm not all that impressed by celebrity... but if you know me, you know that one of my "heros" is John Ortberg. Today I'm in an all-day seminar on preaching and teaching by John. I'm sitting in front, at most, 6 feet from him. I've heard it all the content before, I'm not really even taking notes, but that doesn't matter. I have found over the years that there is something about being in the physical presence of my heros that just gives me life. You may not understand it, you may not even agree with it, but I think it is good to have heros: people you admire and respect for who they are and what they do.

And I think it's good to share that admiration with them (Everyone assumes they don't need it.)

So after this last session, I walked up to John, and (pretty wrought with emotion because I'm really neverous) I said, "I feel really silly doing this, but I wanted you to know that, not only have you have had a profound impact on my teaching, but also my life and theology. There have been times when you were teaching that what you said hit me so hard that I had to pull off the side of the road so that I could just deal with what you were saying. And I wanted to just tell you that and thank you."

And with my soul laid pretty bare and him holding this moment in his hands, he looked at me and with a sincere smile said, "Wow, thanks. That was so kind of you to say. And there is no reason to feel bad about that. I have people like that in my life... and I'm honored to have played that role in your life. Thanks."

Then I asked him to sign my journal and if I could get his picture with me... and we are both laughing because the guy using my camera was absolutely clueless (hence it is out of focus and a horrible shot... but it is more meaningful that way because now it's a story.)

There are some people who you meet, and when you meet them they just seem taller.

2 comments:

JC said...

You didn't take a picture of his notes did you?

mdog said...

now THAT'S funny.