Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Ash Cave

Just a couple of pictures from my trip to Ash Cave. For more go my Flickr account.

Yea, there is no doubt I married way up. I like this picture not only because of subjects, but because of the background. I love the contrast. It's a bit blown out. Overexposed. But I love the color. I also love Laura's smile. If I were to shoot it again, I would use a slower shutter speed to freeze the "waterfall" behind them more. But then I would lose the background blur that I was going for in the first place! Cameras.

The color in this one is not altered. That is the result of water, caves and cute 2-year-olds mixing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Paul, I already knew you were incredibly talented, but maybe you didn't know that I was totally enamored with your photography skills. I wish I could bottle it and take it to Africa with me. But since I can't, would you mind giving me your top 5 pieces of advice/things to work on/stuff to practice/general photog wisdom?

paul said...

Mae

I'm flattered, but there are FAR better photographers than me who could give you advice! But since you asked:

1. It's all about light. I'm not good at this, but I'm learning. Shoot in the morning or evening. The light is better.

Also, shoot with the light behind or off the side of the subject (shoot into the light). This is not intuitive to me. Sarah Nix taught me this.

2. Get closer to your subject. If I could give one piece of advice to anyone... get closer. I was taught to "never cut off someone's feet or the top of their head." That is silly. Now I cut off both!

3. Learn the rule of thirds. Just type it into google if you don't know it. Know why you are breaking it when you do.

4. Kneel, get on a table, lay down... try to look at things from a different angle.

5. Look at magazines/photographers you like. What do you like about their pictures? Try to imitate it.

Finally, if you can learn to shoot manual, do it. I'm still learning how to do this, but it is worth learning rather than point and click. I started by learning composition. I wish I would have started working with light.

Thanks for the kind words. Hey, if you want, I would love to go in your suitcase!