Friday, June 22, 2007

"It ain't a sin to buy the car..."

When the lead of the news story is, "When it comes to luxury sports cars, Ferrari begs to differ with the Pope," you know it's going to be interesting.

Apparently, the Vatican issued a document warning against using a car "as a means for outshining other people and arousing a feeling of envy."

Now, say what you want about the Vatican, but as Christians, I'm guessing we all can agree with that, right? We don't want to use our stuff to make other people envious. Also, although not specifically stated, I think we can all agree that we need to be good stewards of our money and that there might be things that would be wiser kingdom investments than other things.

Well, Ferrari's general manager, Amedeo Felisa, told Reuters this week he was convinced that "buying a Ferrari was not a sin."

"I hope not -- but you should commit at least one from time to time," he said.

Well, if Amedeo Felisa says it's not a sin to buy a Ferrari, than it is not a sin! I mean the general manager of Ferrari would know. He would know that spending anywhere from $200,000 to over a million on a car would just please the heart of God.

I'm I being cynical here? I hope not because I gave it up.

Oh, and oddly enough, this story was in the same edition.

Headline: "Africa faces better food year but crises remain"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'm on the same page as you Paul, but it's interesting to think about this: The very rich buy things like utterly expensive cars - 200k or so. Let's say, people who make over 1 million per year. But if someone makes 100,000 per year - a lot, but for many of us, not unnattainable. If those people buy a 20k car/truck, which is pricey but not in the overly extravagant category to many people, is it is sin? If you make 50k and buy a 10k car, is that a sin? I would venture to say most of us make less than 50k and spent more than 10k on our last car.

Don't get me wrong, I want to gag when I hear that someone would spend 200k on a car when people are starving, but it may be useful to consider that maybe there is something to the statement, "it's all relative."

Carrie said...

It's an interesting that this would happen. I mean, when I think of the typical American I think doesn't go to church and strives for worldly riches. It is interesting, therefore, that this would be such a news item.
~Always~

Carrie said...

Oh yeah...
HHHHHAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPYYYYYYYY
BBBBBIIIIIRRRRTTTHHHHHDDDDDAAAAYYYY
PAUL!!!!!!!
~Always~

paul said...

Yea Jessi. I always wrestle with this too. I get a tizzy when a large church buys a $100,000 video projector. And it could be argued that (given their budget) it is no more elaborate than Central paying $3,200 for one. Same with eating out at restaurants, etc.

But as Art Gish once said to me, "But there is a line." We can all say that wealth is relative... but we must be willing to draw some lines... even if they are only personal lines.

Sweet T said...

Happy Birthday Paul, I am glad you were born 40 years ago.