Saturday, August 05, 2006

Tiffany gets hitched

Today my friend Tiffany gets married. As I write this, I'm sitting in a lobby of a hotel, wearing a suit, getting ready to go to the wedding.

You know, marriage is hard. And they have a lot of rough spots ahead of them. But marriage is an excellent place to learn and practice grace. And that is a good thing.

The passage of Scripture I'm reading during the ceremony is from Romans 12... but here is verse 9.

"Let love be sincere; hate what is evil, hold on to what is good. Love one another with mutual affection; anticipate one another in showing honor."

I don't know what translation this is from... but I really like it. Read it again a couple of times. Memorize it. I think that one is worth holding onto.

"Anticipate one another in showing honor."

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I like that translation of that verse for the "anticipate one another in showing honor". It is an odd enough phrasing that it makes me really mull over what it means, how one practices it, in a way that just stating "show honor to each other" wouldn't do.

But I like another translation's "cling to what is good" better than "hold to what is good". I like the more forceful verb--to me it implies a more worthy good.

Congratulations, Tiffany!

paul said...

actually, when I read it, I changed it to "cling." That was before I read this... but I'm a fan of that as well.