Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Leaving... on a jet plane....

And like Mdog, I know when I'll be back again. In fact, I come back on the same plane as her.

So the flight is delayed (only 15 minutes) and I practice good flying educate, so I get to the airport 1.5 hours early. So I've been checking email and reading all your blogs. I think it's cool that Columbus airport provides free wireless... seeing many of them charge. (I paid $450 for my plane ticket... wireless better be free!)

So I love to people watch. And airports are a fun place to do it. Almost as much fun as a mall.

It interesting how much you can "tell" about a person by watching them. What they are reading, how they are dressed. How their bags are packed. What bags they are carrying. What they are doing while they wait. I'm betting I can tell if a person is a business traveler or traveling for leisure and how often they travel with pretty good regularity. You can tell by how they walk and what they are looking at.

There was a time years and years ago I thought the idea of flying was exciting. Adventurous. Now, I do it with such regularity that... well... it has lost it's luster in some ways. But only some.

But to be honest, I love the window seat... and it is not unusual for me to spend a 3 hour flight largely looking out the window. I'm amazed by the concept of flight.

Well... it won't be long until they call my flight. Here is hoping you all have a good week.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am also amazed by the concept of flight. Even if I read all the physics explanations, I think I'd still find them inadequate to account for the experience of watching the ground drop away and yet not falling. And I always take the window seat.

People watching at the airport can become even more interesting when the flight is significantly delayed...you get to see a whole new side of people when they are forced to deal with stress and the interruption of their neatly laid plans.

jared said...

I love to fly. It's the waiting around at the airport that isn't much fun. I always take the window seat too, even at night. On my way home from Atlanta last summer, I just stared out the window at the moon the whole way home.

Southwest creates an even more interesting dynamic in the terminal because of their open seating policy. Passengers are boarded in three groups - A, B and C according to the letter on their boarding passes. Once you get to the plane it's a free for all. In theory this is great, but in practice people get up to wait in line with their group far too early hoping to get the best shot at whatever seat they want. So, instead of sitting in the terminal until your group is called, you find people standing in line at the gate 20 minutes before the plane is even ready for boarding.

Jennifer said...

I never mind waiting at the airport, because I always bring several books to read. And as long as I have a good book, I can keep myself amused indefinitely. Though I admit, the last time I flew to Chicago, and my flight kept getting delayed because of stormy weather and didn't land until about 6 hours after it was supposed to, I was starting to feel a bit grouchy and my book was rapidly becoming less interesting (it was 2am by the time I got there).

I've never flown Southwest. I'm not sure I'd like the whole open seating idea....seems like I'd be more likely not to get a window seat.