Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I don't fit

So I'm here at Annual Conference, and once again I realize how little I fit in. I'm not saying that in a whining way -- I have friends who use "not fitting in" as a badge of honor ("Oh look, I'm so special I don't fit into any category!")

I just say it as an observation.

Theologically, I don't fit with my conservative friends (my old camp) because I refuse to see God as that rigid. I also don't fit that camp politically anymore in some ways. But I don't fit into the liberal camp... I can't see God as that "open." I believe in truth (even if we can't always know it).

Worship style. I am really struggling here... lots of robes and liturgy. And that is fine... but it's just not me. But I'm not into the "Jesus makes me happy" contemporary Christian stuff. Really, that is fine too... there are seasons where that fits... I'm just not there.

I am on the committee to plan this conference next year. That scares me. Because on a scale of 1 to 10 -- level of satisfaction with what is happening -- I'm about a 2. I would guess most people are about a 7-8. So my thought is just scrap everything and start fresh. The odds of that happening are slim to none.

Blogger is freaking out right now...

6 comments:

jared said...

Hmm. Maybe you could get some cool media gurus and a cool band to do next year's conference. Not sure where you'd find such a talented bunch. Add a little smoke and some lights and I think you'd be set to be the first person kicked off of the planning team.

Anonymous said...

i think jared's got something there. except, avoid the getting kicked off bit. what better way to effect change, no?

jake can open with "god of wrath" instead of, say, "the happy song". or "god of the sparrow and the whale".

i like that you, and we, don't fit in. it keeps people on their toes.

paul said...

if you are volunteering our media team... and your talent (as you won't the team leader anymore)... than I might offer that...

I like the smoke idea... and "god of wrath" would be very, very... ah... different.

jared said...

I hereby volunteer our media team on behalf of Beth. Just don't tell her until after July 10. Truthfully, I'd love to do something like this just to inspire those who don't get it yet.

paul said...

I think we ought to think about doing our conference again. I think we were 2 years too early. But there is more and more hunger for this stuff. esp, photoshop

Anonymous said...

yes, far too early... first of all i wasn't here, and second of all now you've got a sweet new screen to show off. :)