Monday, June 19, 2006

1/4 of a life

This morning I drew a timeline of my life. I know, that sounds strange... but I did. And it dawned on me, that I have spent a 1/4 of my life in Athens at my current job. That just seems strange to me.

Think of all the years you spend as a child... how long childhood seems to last. Or the teen years, which seemed to last forever when you are in them. Heck, band practice seemed to last forever! I have spent twice as much time here than I did in college... yet college was such a mile-marker in my life. I have been here 3 years longer than I was at my first church when I left.

So I have been working through some questions I found this summer and wrote in my journal. They are from a book called, "Half-time," and where, quite honestly, I was not all that crazy about the book, the questions are good.

Here is the one I worked through this morning: "Am I missing anything in my life that might be important?"

Most of my reflections centered on health/weight... as if I am going to be effective/functional in the second half of my life, I need to address this now (Or yesterday).

But you know what I really want as well? Friendships. Not short term, but long term. I realized the other day that I have no friends in my life (other than my wife) who have been close to me for a long time. My friend Brian from seminary is probably the longest friendship I have had that I still (somewhat) keep in touch with... but I have no friends from HS or college that I still see regularly.

A while back, I was at a birthday party for a couple of friends (Mdog was one of them!)... and I realized that those people around that circle were, perhaps, some of my closest friends I have had in my life... and some of the longest. And it just felt right to be there.

More and more, I think I'm willing to give up a lot for long term friendship. Yes, I could move to a bigger church and get paid more... I could have more "adventure" in my life and ministry... but it is more important to me to have my daughter know my friends.

It would be wonderful if these friends I have now were in my life in 20 years.

Athens isn't the best place to get a job... or even to "grow" a church. So what? Whoever said that a job is the most important thing?

So as part of my mid-life crisis, I'm asking my friends to stick around. I would like to grow old with you if that is okay.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my co-worker was asking me just today why the heck i'm still around. free, unattached... i could literally pack up and leave in a few days time and be on my way. so why stay? my answer was, simply: people.

i realized on thursday, after a dear friend moved away, just how incredibly lucky i am to be surrounded by people i love; people that worry about me; people that look out for me.

friendship is overlooked and underappreciated... especially in our hollywoodized culture's view of "love". [in fact, i may steal some of your writing at b109 for a post of my own soon.]

i may not be here forever. but i'll be sticking around for awhile. and i will certainly grow old with you, and your wife, regardless of geography.

Patrick said...

Paul, thanks for reading my blog. I never know how I feel about these things, yet something compells me to keep posting. Simply taking the time to post something true means a lot to me.

I am your friend. I do not think you realize how much so.