Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Single Moms

So I have new heros... single moms.

When my daughter was born, the first 2 months were so hard. Funny, my wife and I both have good, somewhat secure jobs. We live in a nice house. We are financially stable. We have a great system of support including parents who live less than 45 minutes away. We have a very stable marriage and have been married longer than most who have kids. Yet it was still really hard to make the adjustment.

This weekend my daughter was sick. She was really, really, really fussy and screaming and crying. It was pretty constant. Between the two of us we were getting pretty burnt out. Today my wife is sick and I'm run down... but we have a wonderful woman who comes over and watches Lydia for us while my wife works at home. So relief is here! Even as I type this, she is comforting my screaming daughter.

How lucky can we be? What if the total responsibility for my daughter fell just on my wife... or me....

Wow.

It takes a village. I hated that line when it first came out. I wanted to scream, "NO! It takes a family!" But it takes a village. It really does.

So single moms... what would that be like? Some are working for next to nothing trying to make ends meet. Some with more than one child. No support. Sometimes no family. That would really suck.

They are heros.

2 comments:

J.O.B said...

I'm a single mom (although I've been dating a great guy for almost a year now). My daughter's father has never been involved and the last time we spoke was when I was three months pregnant. Before I had my daughter, I thought that I would be tortured, overworked, under paid, sleep deprived, stressed out, unhappy, and alone. I pictured my future as bleak as it could possibly be, without having any idea of what an incredible gift I was being given.

I am blessed to say that becoming Olivia's mother, even all on my own, was by far the best thing that has ever happened to me. Mind you, I moved from Florida (where I had a good job and excellent friends, not to mention the CUTEST apartment!) back to Ohio so my daughter could be close to my family. I changed jobs, took a pay cut, lived with random people, changed doctors about 8 times, lost my insurance, had to get on Medicaid, came extremely close to losing my friggin mind, and cried a lot. I really didn't think I would ever get things "together" enough to have a healthy family.

Less than a month before I had Olivia, I magically (thanks to God) got a job that was not only for a great organization, but also allowed me to work from home, giving me extra time with my baby. I found an apartment in my price range that allowed sufficient space for myself, the baby, and my dog, and eventually led to me finding some awesome and irreplaceable friends. Since then, I've met a wonderful guy, moved up professionally, and am "living the dream" as much as anyone else.

Yes, I have made sacrifices for my child. Yes, I will continue to make them. No, they are not always easy, nor fair. Would I change it for the world? Never.

Todd - no matter what you're mom sacrificed for you and your brother, there is no doubt in my mind that she would do it all over again without hesitation or regret.

And while I love being recognized for being a single mom, all parents that are truly taking good care of their kids deserve some praise - it's no easy job and it really does take a village!!!

paul said...

thanks for the comment JOB. Figured out who you are. :P (but not what JOB stands for!)