Sunday, May 15, 2005

Wow...I can have everything I want

Robert Tilton just announced the title of his new book: "How to be Rich and Have Everything You've Ever Wanted."

I'm about to throw up.

Speaking of throwing up... and I'm going to offend someone... I am starting to think of Joel Osteen ("Your Best Life Now") in the same way. Someone gave me a copy of his book on Audio and I can't get past the 2nd chapter.

Now Tilton is standing by a bunch of Yachts... "You can have everything you want. God wants you to have all of this. Use your faith... Jesus said "I give you the keys".... The key, Tilton is saying, "The key to prosperty is the the Wow of the Vow!" "You should have more than you need. We achieve what we believe."

I'm really going to be sick.

5 comments:

mdog said...

maybe some iced tea [*shudder*] would settle your stomach...

are you watching the Total Blasphemy Network? pry thy self away from the train wreck and go to bed!

jared said...

Hmm. That gives new meaning to TBN. My grandparents gave me a copy of Joel Osteen's book on CD to listen to on my way back to Athens last time I visited them. It played for about 15 minutes before I was ready to throw it out the window. The tragedy of all this crap is that people believe it and feel betrayed by God when they don't end up with a yacht. Then there are those who do get the yacht, and I keep wondering (almost hoping) if God is going to sink it.

paul said...

wow...you made it 15 minutes! Impressive.

Anonymous said...

My favorite was a guy i saw on UPN (i think) later at night who would go on about if you called and donated he'll send you "your own personal prophesy from God" along with a "green cloth" that's straight out of somewhere in the NT. i'm not sure what the green cloth was all about, but he was entertaining. of course he had the requisite woman sitting with him "praying" towards the viewer...ugh.

also, a friend of mine from work was telling me how someone they know has a kid who is/was sick (the details are hazy) and they took him to Benny Hin (sp?) and benny told them that their kid was still sick because they didn't have enough faith. i wasn't sure if the person was seriously believing what benny said, or if they were saying how ridiculous that was...i just can't get over anyone thinking that a set that looks that gaudy and surfacy really is trustworthy. i believe those guys as much as i believe used car salesmen.

Anonymous said...

My mom has been sucked in by these type of thoughts... I think that it's partly due to the fact that she's desperate a lot of the time. Financial woes, health problems, work issues... It seems to never end. When someone tells you that all you have to do it TRULY believe (something she already does), she finds a way "out" of the mess that life has handed her. I think these messages are dangerous because at some point when faithful people aren't receiving "their best life now," they're going to blame someone and it may be God.