Friday, May 20, 2005

Sex on my mind...

So how is that for a post title!

My reasoning is a little less sexy than most. I have a pastor friend who is teaching on it and that is all he talks about or thinks about right now!

Some of you will remember a program that some churches began back in the early 90’s called “True Love Waits.” Anyone heard of that? Any of you "make the pledge?" The idea was that teenagers would sign a pledge to wait until marriage to engage in sexual intercourse. Since 1993 nearly 2.5 million teenagers made that commitment.

I just read that last year, a study was conducted that found that only 12% kept their promise.

88% of the pledgers reported having sexual intercourse before marriage.

That disturbs me. It disturbs me because I'm not sure that the church is all that different from the world. And yes, I know that we are "forgiven" but doesn't the gospel say something about how we live other than, "Oops, I screwed up. Forgive me."

Now, I don't believe that sexual sin is unforgivable. In fact, it may be that we place that sin so "low" that we blow it out of proportion, but as a new father of a baby daughter, what hope do I have of her honoring God with her body before marriage?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

although, I also read in followup to that study that the kids who took the pledge delayed having sex a year or two longer than their peers. not that 14 rather than 13 is more acceptable, but I'm thinking about the possibility for MENTORING happening in that year that helps the kids learn how to direct their energies and affections somewhere appropriate...

rachel
b109.com

Anonymous said...

I've also seen the stats that Rachel mentions.
Perhaps it's naive of me to believe it's better to delay/wait than to just 'do it', from a purely secular viewpoint. At least kids are showing conviction to a cause or belief at some point in their lives.Maybe that's not what you're getting at. I also signed the TLW pledge when I was 14 & though I did have sex before marriage, I was 25 at the time.