Thursday, May 19, 2005

"Hold me like you did by the lake on Naboo..."

I went to see the opening midnight showing of the new Star Wars last night. I still don't know how I feel about the movie. I do know that I'm getting too old to be doing too many midnight openings!

I would be curious to hear other's opinions on the movie as you see it.

So the dialogue is classic Star Wars... meaning bad (the blog title was one of my "favorite" lines). The special effects are... well... very CG. The plot lines were all nice and neat and tied together so we are ready to go and rent episode 4 again so that Lucus can get more of my hard-earned cash. The movie moved along pretty well...(Although in this blogger's opinion, the movie should have ended when they put the Vader suit on Anakin and he sat up.) There were some good moments.... but I didn't leave impressed for some reason.

Maybe I'm just tainted. Maybe I just miss the days when the droids were (obviously) made from garbage cans and more than 7 characters in the movie were played by... well... actual people.

But I also realize that part of why I love Star Wars is that it reminds me of a simpler time in my life. It is a movie from my childhood (yes, I was actually ALIVE when it was first released). It is a movie that could have just as easily been a western, I just like the characters. And for its day, the effects were stunning.

And maybe I just wanted to regress once again to a place in my life that seems "a long time ago...in a galaxy far, far away."

3 comments:

Patrick said...

Paul, it would seem you had no real right to be at the midnight showing, regardless of your age. "Renting" Episode IV? "RENTING"?! Obviously, what you meant to say was, "Pulling my well-used VHS copy off the shelf." [whew] That was close, I almost thought you went to the midnight showing of a Star Wars movie without owning your own copy of Star Wars.

Re: RotS. I have no complaints whatsoever. I am reserving my complete critique until I have seen it at least two more times.

If you are a fan of SW, then you should have nothing to complain about. It's not about what you wanted to see or not see, it's about whether it's a good, action-packed, SW feeling movie. Which it was. And the love scenes were shorter. That was my only real hope. No more "sand" talk.

I also don't buy the "western" stuff. I've heard people say that stuff before, and I ain't buyin' it. Sci-fi is sci-fi, not western. And if all a western is is classic good vs. evil, then it really shouldn't be called a western. Because westerns are about cowboys, not lightsabers, or space armada battles, or the Force, or Yoda.

MTFBWY.

paul said...

First, as Patrick so adeptly point out, I would not have a right to consider myself a true SW fan if I didn't have a well-worn VHS copy toward the FRONT of my shelf. Which I do. I also have the "cleaned" copy DVDs, which don't get as much play...

I thought the Phantom Menace was okay...I thought episode 2 was... well... not as okay... and episode 3 is my favorite of the new SW movies.

As Patrick pointed out, I will reserve my critique until I have seen it a few times, which is why I said, "I still don't know how I feel about the movie."

So if Patrick, or other bloggers, want to go and see it again with me... I may be open to that idea...

RofS trivia question... did you know that Lucas' kids were in the movie? What scenes?

Anonymous said...

I just saw the newest star wars and i came off with the same kind of nearly impressed- but not quite feeling. natalie portman's dialogue just sounded bad all around and her acting has never impressed me in these movies. anakin's plot line was pretty cool, i especially was impressed with the look of terror on his face as the mask was being lowered down-you could tell he was trying to figure out what was about to happen to him.

Yoda probably looked his best this time compared to the previous two. i thought his fighting was the most convincing and his "acting" worked too.

overall i liked it, but my view was especially tainted because i went to a matinee showing and there was a row of kids (10-12yrs) sitting in front of us who insisted on clapping every 25 sec towards the end of the film. it started as just during impressive parts (the opening title, a really cool fight, etc) but then towards the end they were doing it just to clap. i could feel myself turning towards the dark side just sitting there, wanting to...umm...politely ask them to stop clapping...

anyway, the movie was good enough to redeem Lucas for the last two. not enough to see a lot in the theaters, but good enough to not dissapoint.