Thursday, December 23, 2004

'Twas the Night Before Christmas...Eve...

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve. I'm sitting in my warm house, watching TV. I just finished dinner. The house is decorated...I will wrap Christmas presents tonight. My new baby daughter is sitting in a vibrating chair just being very content and very cute. My dogs are laying at my feet. In a couple of days I will visit my in-laws and they will give us way too many Christmas presents. Soon afterward my parents will come to my home and we will spend the week together. Then I go on vacation, flying to Hawaii for a week.

This is so far removed from the rest of the world.

As I type on a wireless laptop, there are people without food. As I sit in a house, there are people who live on the street. I ate dinner early tonight. Why? Becuase I was "hungry." Now I'm full. I just stopped at the store and bought groceries. I didn't question their safety. I didn't even notice the price all that much.

My wife almost died giving birth to my daughter. They are both alive because we were in a hospital. Not just any hospital, but one we were sent to in Columbus that could handle the situation. 40,000 children died today from preventable things... they didn't need a hospital. They just needed food, or clean water, or some simple medication that I could drive to the store and buy in 10 minutes.

"For unto us a child is born, a son is given. And the governments will be upon his shoulder. And his name will be called, Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, paul, you've certainly gotten the hang of this blogging thing down quickly! but what will we do without you for a week?

i am picturing you, in hawaii, on the beach, under an umbrella... with your wireless laptop, blogging away.

:D

mdog

paul said...

So blog rules... do I as the blogger respond to your comments IN the same section...or do I start a new heading?

Blogging on the beach. Hummmm... never thought about taking my laptop. Too much like work.

And Leviticus is a happening book. I know a pastor who started a church (this is a church START, mind you) and he took a year to preach through Leviticus. He messages are 45 min - an hour.

His church is now over 10,000 in attendance.

He is my hero.

paul said...

Well...if you heard the messages, I promise you would not be bored. You would be amazed. But you won't hear ME teaching it anytime soon!