Monday, December 27, 2004

Customer Service Rant

So why has customer service gotten so lousy? Today I called my phone company only to wait 22 minutes 48 seconds on hold. Is that really necessary? I mean, I can understand a 2, 3, 4...maybe 5 minute wait. But after 10 minutes, it's really time to hire more staff. I will say that once I actually talked to a real person, she was quite helpful and nice, but 22 minutes?

Then, I went to pick up pictures I had taken of my daughter. I confess, I went to get them developed at a place I don't frequent that much... partially because I have found the customer service lousy! So I wait in line...for several minutes. That's okay...they were busy. But when I got to the counter, the woman behind the counter was not only clueless, but she just was... well... a bit rude. When she handed me my pictures ($37.53 worth) she just grunted, "okay, you're done." No "thank you," no "can I help you with anything else?"

The sad thing is that when customer service is good, it is so rare that it stands out. Shouldn't that be the norm?

Okay...I could rant longer, but I try to keep these short in case someone actually reads them. I wouldn't want to take away from the time readers might spend on hold with their phone company.

No comments: