Monday, October 27, 2008

Donald Miller on Issues

Donald Miller is a Christian leader and author who is publicly campaigning for Obama throughout Ohio and Pennsylvania. I got these quotes from another blog -- these are his thoughts about Obama on the issues of gay marriage and abortion. I thought it was interesting.

It is also interesting that he offered this quote about McCain: "I do wish he were a Christian, or would talk about faith, Jesus, Redemption or the Cross."

I have to say that quote hit me like ton of bricks. Interestingly enough, I'm not sure I have ever heard McCain claim to be a Christian? I mean, maybe he did... but come to think about it, I'm not sure I have ever heard him mention Jesus. It's interesting that I assumed he was. (And he may be).

I'm curious to know your thoughts.

BTW, for the record: even as a pastor, the first thing I look for in a president is NOT Christian faith. I would rather have an good president who is a non-christian than a bad one who is a devout. Feel free to comment on this as well.

________________________________________________

Donald Miller on Abortion: "I am a pro-life voter, but do not believe John McCain’s plan on the issue will work. McCain’s only stand on the issue has been a recent switch to a pro-life position, and a promise to continue the attempt to criminalize abortion through the Supreme Court. I believe this is an empty promise, and anybody who understands our judicial system would know this. Chief Justice John Roberts of the Supreme Court (our most conservative Judge, many feel, and the pro-lifers greatest hope for the plan to criminalize abortion) has stated that Roe V. Wade “is the law of the land” and has been backed up in precedent by the Casey case. He does not believe it is plausible to overturn both rulings. Of course it is possible, but it would take a judicial miracle and the appointment of even more conservative, activist judges. This is the only way the overturning of Roe V. Wade will happen. The continuation of rhetoric about being pro-life but not having a realistic plan has tired me of the Republican Party. As more and more evangelicals walk away, I hope Republicans will stop giving lip-service to this important issue. My hope is they will realize they are going to lose more and more votes until they are willing to engage in a bipartisan effort to make progress with comprehensive legislation that is realistic and actual.

"The Democrats have proposed comprehensive legislation called the 95/10 initiative that aims to reduce the number of abortions that take place in this country by 95% within 10 years. While Barack Obama is a pro-choice candidate, he supports this and similar legislation. This is the only proposed and realistic strategy that can move us around the cultural impasse that is breathing hate and anger into the Christian community.

"While Barack Obama opposes late-term abortions, he has made promises to the National Organization or Women to make progress in a woman’s right to chose. I wish Obama were more strong on this issue. Still, I do feel he will accomplish more than John McCain, as John McCain has only recently taken this position and offers no legislation and no plan.

"This is a very debatable issue. There are facts on both sides that seem to refute any argument made. But I have had to do the research and take a position and, for now, this is my position."




Donald Miller on Gay Marriage: "This is not an issue I think much about because I am neither gay nor married, but I understand the evangelicals desire to protect the sanctity of marriage and define it as an exclusive relationship between a man and a woman. I agree with both candidates on this issue as they both oppose gay marriage but protect constitutional rights for domestic partners. In order to oppose civil rights for homosexuals, you would have to change the constitution which I think is dangerous. I agree with McCain and Obama both on this issue as they have stated the same position.

"On other issues that are no less important although less heated such as the economy, globalization and trade, the environment and energy, I support Barack Obama’s positions over John McCain’s."



Donald Miller on Faith: "But let me make something very clear. I don’t dislike John McCain. I think he is a good man and a drastic improvement over Republican candidates in the past. I do wish he were a Christian, or would talk about faith, Jesus, Redemption or the Cross. Barack Obama does, very often, and very unashamedly. I am uncomfortable with the idea of a truly secular man in the White House, a man who has no church, no pastor, does not read the Bible and may not even pray. John McCain seems like a good man, but a secular man. I want our next President to talk and listen to God."

6 comments:

Trevor said...

I saw Donald Miller at University of Bluffton. The content was all the same as you have included. He was compelling and I appreciated his breakdown of the two issues that you included. Miller knew firsthand where Obama stands and was able to explain them without all the lingo typically used. The take on abortion is eye opening b/c indeed many pro-lifers cling to possibility of an overturning of Roe v Wade. The process for selecting Justices is so stringent that it's probably never going to happen. So I appreciate Obama's plan to decrease abortions while working within the law of the land. I also was surprised to hear about Obama's faith and McCain's apparent lack of it? Not sure what the real story is. I was amazed that faith didn't come up in any of the debates when it was so prevalent an issue in '04.

One week to go. Will be glad to not see the commercials on TV. Sick of the slinging

thea said...

I'm a pro-lifer. Talk to me for more than 10 minutes and you'll know I love kids. But in the past 10 years or so (I've only been paying attention to politics that long, but I am only 30) I've seen more b.s. about getting roe v. wade turned and then NOTHING ever happens. Long ago I questioned why there wasn't better services to prevent getting pregnant in the first place. More education, lower BC costs, stuff of that nature. Finally, a person running for president gets it. Teens and young adults are going to have sex, make the stuff available to them so they don't have to make the abortion/adoption choice.

The fact that Obama talks about his faith is great. I would be interested to hear what McCain has to say but as it's been pointed out he's been mute on the subject. Does that surprise me, not really, but it is sad.

HURRY NOV. 4TH.

Carrie said...

"I am uncomfortable with the idea of a truly secular man in the White House, a man who has no church, no pastor, does not read the Bible and may not even pray."
I am too. I think if I could vote, faith would definitely be the deciding factor for me. Why is this? Because your faith should determine your worldview. If your faith does not determine your worldview, then the question arises: is it true faith, or just the appearance of faith? But these are questions we have no right to put to our cantidates, for as it has been said, we should give secretly, pray secretly, and fast secretly. Our faith and its authenticity is a matter between us and our Father.
If both these men had true, vibrant faiths, I would be comfortable with either of them in the White House, but as it is, I cannot be sure.
The first thing mentioned by the quote about a faithful Christian is the church. I will point out now that the church is made of the people, and Obama goes to a liberal Chicago church.
The next thing mentioned was the pastor. WHAT THE HECK?? Obama's pastor discraces the word. I should much rather Obama be a rampant atheist if he were elected than be mislead by an anti-white radical.
Does not read the Bible: Why on earth would McCain talk about that? We are to boast only in our Savior, and if McCain has truly not spoken on his faith as you claim, then he has not boasted of his Savior. But he has not boasted at all.
McCain may not pray. This is true. But Donald Miller might not pray, and would we know?
I have no confidence in Obama and sincerely wish he is defeated. As a minor my voice carries no weight, but I hope some may see from my view.
~Always~

Anonymous said...

First of all, McCain has mentioned that he is a Christian, but the few times I have seem him address the issue, he stammers and reveals himself to be unfamiliar with scripture and uncomfortable talking about faith. I absolutely have no idea where the man's heart is but, to me, it seems like he talks about it like someone who is one-step removed from grace. Like he grew up in a household where they checked the "Christian" box and went to church on Christmas but never sought to live out their faith or know Christ.

Secondly, Obama is not an anti-white radical. After the comments made by Rev. Jeremiah Wright, he made a powerful speech (which you can find here: http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/18/obama.transcript/index.html )about racism and left that church. He described the situation as similar to having a crazy uncle that you are fond of but strongly disagree with what he says. Because of Rev. Wright being a friend and having been there for Obama in his younger years, he had hoped to maintain the relationship to the church. Once it became clear that Wright was using his proximity to Obama to push into the spotlight some of his more radical ideas, Obama severed the relationship.

Many of us have struggled with churches we have attended. Many of us have seen a once-vibrant, on-target leader begin to go down a path we don't agree with. I beleive it takes courage and committment to try to stick it out with someone. Besides, no one goes to a church only for the pastor...sorry, Paul :) Sometimes people continue to go because of the community, the friends, the comfort of corporate worship.

Obama is not anti-white. He is HALF-WHITE!!! His mother, who he was raised by was white. His grandparents who also helped raise him and who he maintained close relationships with...he just left campiagning for a couple of days to visit his ailing WHITE grandmother.) I would argue there is absolutely no basis for him being anti-white except for the association with his arguably anti-white pastor. I am pro-choice. I have attended churches that have strongly pro-life pastors. Some of us are strong enough to be in the presence of those we disagree with and commune peacefully with God.

Honestly, there is no need to even try to argue against this because Obama's actions are clear - there is nothing about him that is anti-white.

He is also not a radical. He is staunchly democrat.

Also, he is, in my view, clearly a Christian...for me, that is not particularly important, but if it is for you, you should probably investigate this more closely. If you really want to know more about the man, instead of calling him names and talking about things that you aren't very familiar with, I suggest you pick up a copy of his book, The Audacity of Hope, where he speaks at length and freely and genuinely about his adult acceptance of Christ (his mother was not a Christian...I'm not sure about his Grandparents.)

My view is that one thing you cannot ignore in the bible (among other things) is God's concern for the poor. I think you'll find that Obama's career and voting record reflect that much more than McCain's.

Carrie said...

Just a note: I said that I would rather Obama be atheist than mislead by an anti-white radical. Obama is not an anti-white radical. I want to make this absolutely clear, because I take pains not to insult those deserving of my respect. Your link to an eloquently written and doubtlessly eloquently performed speech have shown that he renounces this pastor.
Now I come to my disagreement. I understand that Obama was only lead to leave this congregation when his pastor was using him to broadcast his racist ideas.
However alive and present Obama's Christian faith may be, he chose to be lead by a man, he chose to be taught by a man, he chose to have his marriage and children affirmed in the faith by a man who is wrong and mislead. When you become a pastor, you dedicate your life to Christ in perhaps the most conspicuous, public way. And, as a pastor, you need to be an example of the faith.
We agree that what Obama's pastor said was wrong, and teaching falsely is sin.
Those who lead should be able to recognize, admit, and repent of sin publicly. To see that Obama has followed a man who has not done this is frightening.
If Obama could take this man's advice with a grain of salt and compare it to the Gospel in order to live a Christian life, good. But it would also be a bright political move to disown him, and if it is not a genuine refusal of Wright's teachings, then we come to more questions.
If Obama surrounds himself with good advisors, he could bring about all the good he promises. But if he is elected and someone like Wright gets ahold of him again, I fear for our country.
~Always~

paul said...

just a note for my readers... Cabbie is a HS student... and a very smart one at that. Agree with her or not, I appreciate her thoughts. Thanks for sharing, Cabbie.