Monday, September 29, 2008

The interest of others

From a favorite blog of mine

______________________________

Here's the quote of the day: "We're all worried about losing our jobs," Rep. Paul Ryan, a Republican, declared in an impassioned speech in support of the bill before the vote. "Most of us say, 'I want this thing to pass, but I want you to vote for it — not me.' "

What else could you expect from an economic system predicated on the notion that everyone acting in their own self-interests will always lead to a win/win situation. Somehow, I wonder: WWJT. What would Jesus think?

He'd think that we should put the interests of others before our own. He'd think we should put the interests of the kingdom before our own. He'd think we should live generously. He'd think we should open our homes, share our food, and care for those who can't care for themselves, and that these kinds of things should be our priorities.

We've been trying to reconcile Adam Smith and unregulated economics with the gospel for a long time. Can we please stop? What's needed is a new model where the government rewards, not self-interest, but service and sacrifice. This might be an opportunity to build a new energy and technology infrastructure. Maybe America can begins producing goods again, rather than trying to live off fabricated wealth. Maybe, but I'm not sure. If Christians, who have the very words of Christ about money refuse to altar their view of self-interest economics, how will the rest of world do?

___________________________

Feel free to share your thoughts.

3 comments:

Andrew Luis said...

Not very many people know this but Smith had two great works. The first was Wealth of nations but he followed it up with a book about ethics, and the in ability for markets based n capitol to survive unless those who have exercise ethics. No other system can lead us to the type of wealth that we experience in capitalism. I understand that this wealth has not made us any happier or any more fulfilled but I think the problems we see dont stem from our economic model but the loss of religion to guide us morally and provide a yard stick for ethics.

Am I dead wrong? I will admit that I could be but I have yet to see any evidence to the contrary.

thea said...

How will the rest of the world? Interesting question. I think that we as "christians" (myself first and by far the worst I know)are pretty self centered . I hope that we as a nation can repair the damage that has been done not only finacially, but also morally. But I'm not holding my breath. The way the rest of the world looks at us is really sad. I have no answers, there are many people who are way more educated than myself, but until I put God first in my life, how can I expect the rest of the nation too?

passporter said...

Yep, sorry, but Jesus was a Commie. I love capitalism as much as the next American, but I cannot avoid the fact that if you're going to give Jesus an economic label, you've pretty much got to go with Communist.