Tuesday, September 16, 2008

An Open Letter to New People Coming to Central from Other Congregations

Dear New Person from another local congregation:

First, I want you to know that I'm excited you are considering being a part of the community of Central. I have often said (and I really believe), there is no place I would rather be, and no other people I would rather be with than this community you are "checking out." I'm certainly biased, but I love the people and vision that is Central Avenue. I think you will as well.

With that said, you need to know, up front, that I'm more than a bit nervous you are coming.

1. I've never been much of a fan of what we pastors call “the annual sheep shift."

Consumer Christians. Transfer growth.

Now, to be clear, not everyone who transfers from one local congregation to another, does so for the wrong reasons. I believe there are right reasons to change local churches (I may hit on some of those in a later post).

But there are also wrong reasons.

And that is what makes me nervous.

You know, we pastors actually talk to each other. And we notice that some people just shift from one congregation to the next -- looking for better music, better preaching, better children's programs, the next "better" thing. And if you are coming to Central just because we are “better” than your last congregation, I have some news for you: soon you will find another congregation in town “better” than us. So I would just as soon give you some names of those churches and have you keep looking.


2. If you are coming to Central simply to have your needs met and “consume religious services,” please don't come.

No. Really.

I’m not kidding.

We need the seats.

This is the Church, not a shopping mall.

And honestly, it MAY BE that the children’s program (or whatever) at your last church would have been better if you had volunteered or given of yourself to make it better. Our children’s program is good, not because we are a “better church” but because of Serena and Sarah and Mike and Barb and Mary Ann and Linda and ... (on and on... ).

The church is people.

More than that, the church is people willing to lay down their lives for one another. It’s not always convenient.

It's not always easy.

It's not always about you.

Sometimes you have to take some nails.

So here is my suggestion: hang around for a while. Let’s “date” a bit. Find out if you like who we are and what we are about.

But then discover your gifts, roll up your sleeves and get to work. We have a world to change.

To be clear, we all have times when we need to heal and rest. We have seasons where we feel we just can’t make a contribution. Maybe we are wounded. Maybe we are in a period of transition with our families. Maybe we need a safe place to ask questions. But those times are not the norm, and they should be temporary. And they should lead you to deeper service and relationships, not apathy.

So, if you are coming to Central just to consume, honestly, I would rather have your chair for a person who is either ready to make a contribution or just checking out Christianity. And that goes for any of you current Central folks as well. Play ball or get off the field.

I’m serious.

I would rather have 100 sold out “sacrificial followers of Jesus” than 1000 spectators who think we are “relevant” and love our music.

BTW, I “love” when people call us "relevant."


3. If you are coming to Central because you like my preaching... you are a very wise person. ☺

Okay seriously... just kidding.

I am honored when people tell me that my preaching impacts them. One of the times I’m most alive is when I preach. It is what I love.

But know that I’m not the ONLY voice you will hear. We have an ever-expanding, gifted team of teachers that I love (and learn from) at Central. God speaks through different voices – the key is a gifting to teach (which our teachers have). But don’t mistake style with substance.

And since this is my blog, let me just rant a bit (as if that would surprise any of my readers!).

I think there are too many expectations placed on most pastors. We are not the paid Christians to do all the work. We are called to “equip the saints for ministry.” (Which means, if you are not doing ministry... ah...er... um... I guess you are not a saint. ☺)

People who know me well will tell you, I don’t do a lot around here. [“Amen!” from my staff]. That gives me time to focus on my sermon prep and those few things I do okay.

So before your put down your previous pastor’s preaching to me, know that I’m not a big fan of that. You don’t have to tell me I’m good by saying that another person is bad. And if you are saying that about that person now, what will you be saying about me in 3 years?

It may be your previous pastor’s preaching would have been better if the congregation didn’t place such unreasonable expectations on his or her time. Central has invested hundreds of hours in me -- and thousands of dollars. They have pushed me (yes, pushed me) to take sabbatical and study times. They’ve paid for me to go to conferences and given me money for books and resources. Yes, I believe I have a spiritual gift of teaching. But that gift has been nurtured and fanned by this community.

Please hear me: you are very welcomed here! Really. If you happen to be new and stumble on these posts, know that I’m not trying to talk you out of this community.

But know what you are getting into.

We are the Church. Not some club.

What makes Central attractive to you (or, as one of you said, “this place seems different!”) is that...um... this place... these people are different. There really is a hunger for God here. And hopefully an authenticity.

We are a people who don’t have it figured out (and aren’t afraid to say that) but we really do believe the Jesus Christ is the hope of the world and for some stupid reason he wants to us as channels of that hope.

So, we really only have 600 available seats (with 200 of them on a Saturday night) -- 450 were filled last weekend. We would love you to be a part of this body... but only if you are willing to BE a part of this body. We could use your gifts. Otherwise, we could use your chair.

Part 2 is coming soon... so don’t get ticked at me and quit reading.

But if this ticked you off... you probably wouldn't like Central anyway.

7 comments:

mdog said...

i <3 all of this.

~Lauraborialice said...

well, thanks for doing it.. :-D I'm scared of heights too.. What's this about your hobby being magic?

-MIKE- said...

"The church is people."
I thought Soylent Green is people.


Sat night service, huh? Our church is doing that and we go. We love it... it's like being catholic. And it's the real Sabbath, anyway. So at least, now, you're not going to hell.

Love ya!

thea said...

I'm kinda in a spot. I know what I like to do, but doing it is difficult. (Actually, it's finding the time with two sons and a husband that are difficult.) I love your preaching Paul and for the record all I expect of you is to keep preaching the word of God.

Anonymous said...

this is bold, difficult and really good.

i like that you used the word "date". i often described my departure from my previous church as divorce-like. it was very painful. i can't imagine doing it again. ever. (read: you're stuck with me, centralites! bwahaha!)

jared said...

I've never read anything more true or more funny. I've been part of this body for ten years now, and it is the best church on earth (ok, I'm a little biased), but only because of the people who make it that way.

ls118003 said...

I miss Central! I knew a good thing when I saw it, but going back to Lima has made me realize just how spiritually hungry the body of Central really is. I miss the people, I miss the music, I miss the wonderful sermons (no sucking up here), and I miss the fire of God lighting up people's faces.

Going from a spiritually hungry church to a spiritually stagnant one is hard ... I miss all you guys.