Friday, September 26, 2008

Busted!

WARNING: the following post makes statements that may appear partisan. They are not to be construed as such, but rather simple observations of the political process.

With that said, here is the headline on NYtimes.com:

McCain Decides to Participate in Debate

Well, duh.

I just want to say, I think Obama called his bluff and won.

They played "chicken" and McCain flinched first.

First, no matter what you think of McCain, I thought his "I'm not going to debate on Friday, I'm going to go and save the United States" was just plain arrogant. "Ooooo look, McCain hasn't showed up for months to vote, but now he will come riding in to save the day!"*

Really, get over yourself.

It was a political move and it backfired.

Obama's response was perfect [paraphrased]:

"Well, I'm going to be at the debate, even if I'm there alone. You know, alone. Yep. Just me and those TV cameras. And all those voters who want to hear a debate on issues. Yes sir, I will be there!"

Did anyone think that McCain would be able to pull this off?

So, now he has to back peddle.

"Oh, I guess the world will keep turning even without me for just this one night. I guess I can make the debates after all."

Come on. We expect better than that from you, Mr. McCain.


*I do realize Obama has been absent from the voting process as well. But he didn't pull this stunt, McCain did.

5 comments:

-MIKE- said...

First of all, everyone always complains about politicians not being in Washington to do their jobs. When one decides to do so, people bitch about it.

Secondly, I don't know who you're voting for, but I'll remind you that one senator says "[T]he first thing I’d do as president is, is sign the Freedom of Choice Act."

paul said...

Mike, you are a really smart guy. Please don't tell me you think he was going to Washington to do his job. It was a political move and it flopped.

And this really has nothing to do with who one should or should not vote for. That has NOTHING to do with my motive for posting that. It IS a statement on the process. And McCain blew it.

But I will soon post an area where I think Obama blew it. So there. :)

If nothing, I'm an equal opportunity offender.

-MIKE- said...

Stunt or not, flopped or not... one guy wanted ten debates, the other would only accept three. What does that say?

As to the one you "will soon post," I hope you have enough bandwidth to fit it all. :-)

Always in love, my broseph.

Jenlyn said...

Wouldn't voting be more effective than debating? We'd get to see what they actually do instead of just hanging around and watching them talk.

They both should have stood up the debate.

paul said...

A reminder Jenlyn... the both have big, really expensive (read: fast) planes that certainly could make it from a vote to a debate. There is no reason that I have yet to discern for either of them not to have shown up to that debate.