Friday, March 31, 2006

it's friday!

I did that for mdog.

Weekends are strange for me. Being a pastor, there is very little "Thank God it's Friday" going on. And despite the cartoons, there is no "Thank God it's Monday" as Monday my wife works and, to be honest, I'm still emotionally recovering. For those who have never done it before, there is something about preaching that is exhilarating and draining at the same time.

But my life has very little rhythm to it. My job does not allow a lot of structure. Some of that is great... some of that is lousy. I don't think I work longer than most (40-60 hours a week), but the hours are strange. And NEVER the same from week to week, and often times, not very predictable. (You can't plan a funeral, an emotional crisis, or even a lot of counseling.)

I have a friend who is now working Sundays. That must suck. Now, I think he took this on himself as he is working at least two jobs... and this allowed him to re-arrange his schedule... but that would still suck. Maybe it doesn't bother him, but it would bug me.

It's a beautiful day. Yesterday I spent a couple of hours with a friend and we walked The Ridges. ALL of The Ridges. It was tiring, but exhilarating at the same time. (Isn't it funny how life is like that?) See, an example of my schedule. I could take a couple of hours out of my day and walk.

So all of this rambling is that last night I felt like an absentee husband and father. I got home last night and really missed my wife. We tried to connect but I went to bed feeling really distant. I'm betting she did as well. I still feel out of it... but I need to leave as I have an appointment at 7:30. I was hoping this post would clear my mind... but I'm not sure it helped all that much. And you may have waisted a couple of minutes of your life as well. Sorry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's monday!

hope you're feeling a little more 'with it' now.