Sunday, September 16, 2007

Brat

My wife is about to leave for a multi-day conference. I'm not very good at being alone, to be honest. We have been married 14 years and a still tear up when she leaves (I used to go into weeping spells, so tearing up is an improvement).

Her boss called her to tell her that the agenda was sparse tonight and she could come in the morning, rather than tonight. Which means she would have to leave at 6 am. But my wife is not a morning person (now THERE is an understatement). And I know it would be best for her to go tonight, even though MY preference would be for her to stay.

But I want her to stay so I decide to pull out the big guns.

I wake up my 3-year-old from her nap, and she and her daddy have a private meeting. The next thing you know she walks into our bedroom, walks over to mommy, wraps her little arms around her leg and softly says, "Mommy... stay?"

[Insert sound of my wife's heart breaking]

Now, if that were the end of the story, I would not be sleeping alone tonight, but unfortunately, there is more.

My wife says, "Aww, that is so cute." [at this point I still think I'm going to win]. Then she turns to my daughter and says, "Did daddy put you up to that?" and without missing a beat, my daughter smiles and says, "yea."

Brat.

4 comments:

mdog said...

ooooo, manipulation. get 'em in on the fun early...

paul said...

yep. :)

Naomi said...

I love your daughter!

Carrie said...

Cute! I wonder if I did anything like that for my parents when I was younger...
~Always~