Thursday, April 12, 2007

Write the @#$@ book.

"Brokenness is weird. To refuse its presence, we are nothing. But when we acknowledge it, we gain power beyond measure." mdog

So I've been thinking about this quote a lot, partially because I think mdog should write a book, partially because I'm going to steal the quote and use it in a sermon in May...

And partially because I realize how broken I am.

I want to hide it. Even when I am vulnerable, I realize that I am vulnerable only to a point. Even vulnerability can involve image control. And some of that is good. We don't need to be spilling our brokenness all over everyone all the time.

But there is this truth... there is this reality that (as James says), "when we confess our sin" to one another... power comes. Healing comes.

I'm glad the Bible is true. And I'm glad it works.

As Jim pointed out on Easter, I'm glad for life after death... but also for the chance at life before death.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah, i never get any credit in your sermons. *kicks at ground*

confession is powerful.

i'm glad it works, too.

Jennifer said...

mdog: isn't plagerism the sincerest form of flattery? Oh wait. No. That was imitation. ;o)

Paul: I really, really like this post, even though it opens up one of those vicious circles in my head.

"even vulnerability can involve image control".

You are so right--I too am vulnerable, but only to a point. Just enough to seem "real" without seeming horrible (out of fear or pride? Good question). And where the line between being vulnerable and oversharing is I do not know.

But it's definitely true that I've gained a sense of freedom from sharing some of the crap I've been through--even though I was the cause of my own problems. If nothing else, freedom from shame and guilt. Also healing.

I look forward to your mdog-quote inspired message.