Saturday, May 20, 2006

Reviews

The reviews are better than the movie.

"You know a movie's a dud when even its self-flagellating albino killer monk isn't any fun. "
John Beifuss, COMMERCIAL APPEAL (MEMPHIS, TN)

"I cannot vouch for the novel, but the movie is a remarkably underwhelming experience."
David Cornelius, EFILMCRITIC.COM

"Way too long and duller than watching Da Vinci's paint dry...takes away the book's little credibility and makes the flaws more obvious."
Edward Douglas, COMINGSOON.NET

"As for the film's entertainment virtues, forget it. This is one of the most talky and pretentious major films in memory."
-Steve Crum, VIDEO-REVIEWMASTER.COM

“…small, surprisingly ordinary movie… Ron Howard, it turns out, was precisely the wrong person to bring Dan Brown's best-selling novel to the screen.…”
Boston Globe

“…ludicrous and the ridiculous race …demands suspension of beliefs, and not just religious ones… Following its labyrinthine absurdities is like listening to a convoluted story on a cell phone that keeps dropping out.…”
Ed Blank, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

“…The surprise, and disappointment, of The Da Vinci Code is how slipshod and hokey the religious detective story now seems.…”
Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly

“…Ron Howard's stilted 'Code' is hardly a masterpiece… Although it is guaranteed to stir debate, the film itself is never stirring. It is like a cilice itself, confining and constraining the characters, the story and, finally, the audience…”
The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

“…visually static and wearying… The Da Vinci Code can be summed up in one line, spoken by its earnest protagonist after a pal is kidnapped: 'I've got to get to a library!' Be still my beating heart. A library. Next, we'll all compare flavors of dental floss. …the drama feels more like melodrama, especially with the heavy-handed music…”
The Arizona Republic


Okay, there were some postive ones. But these were more fun.

I actually believe it will win all kinds of award... but only because of the politics and because it is anti-Christian. But we will see.

1 comment:

jared said...

'I've got to get to a library!' Now that's a big enough reason not to see the movie. I usually don't let reviews affect my decision to watch a movie, but the perponderance of evidence is definately against wasting 2+ hours of my life and $6.50 of my hard-earned cash to see this. I may still read the book, because I am curious about it, but my reading list is pretty long right now, so it could be a while. I am, however, looking forward to seeing X3 this weekend.