Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Love

Okay, so a lot of you chimed in on the idea of loving God and you wrestled with the question of, "what is love." Thanks. Great discussion. Love is decision, love is an action... love is not feeling... yep, you are all orthodox, good Christians who can quote the bible and could have a career in making Christian bumper stickers. :O)

Now, let me push back a bit.

I have said (and preached) for years that love is a decision. It is part of almost every wedding message I do. And yes, I know that "love is a verb." Love is action. Yes, I know that I choose to love my wife and that my feelings are not always the same. (Although I could debate that point.)

BUT COME ON NOW FOLKS... do you REALLY think that love is a "decision that leads to action?" Is that it? Thank GOD I didn't marry you! [Around dinner and candlelight] "Honey, I think I've decided to act in loving ways to you."

(I'm egging you on in case you don't know it by now.)

But seriously though, is that really what love is? Is that really how God loves me? Does God only love me because he chooses to? Is God's love for my ONLY revealed in his actions toward me?

Or does God passionately love me with such intense feelings I could not even begin to comprehend? Is it possible that God thinks about me every second of the day? Is it possible that God can't get me off His mind? Is it possible that God is so pre-occupied with me that He can't sleep at night so He just stays up watching me sleep?

Oh I know... that kind of love sounds almost scandalous.

But man, if I didn't believe this I would pack up this "Christian thing" and become a believer in some impersonal life force!

Yes, love is action. A decision. But love IS a feeling as well.

God loves you perfectly. He has incredibly strong feelings for you!

Yes, I love my wife. And yes, sometimes that love is a decision... but hey folks... I have incredibly strong feelings for my wife. I'm passionate about my wife. I long to be with her. I miss her when I'm not around her. I love my friends. Yea, they can get on my nerves (mdog, "when are you leaving again?") but I long to be around them.

So yes, let's not reduce love to just a feeling. BUT LET'S ALSO NOT reduce it to JUST a decision, or act of the will, or action.

Honestly, this is a huge thing to ponder... because then what does it mean for us to love our enemies?

Chew on that for a while.

1 comment:

jared said...

I'm not even going to pretend to have answers, but I will pose another question. If love were a decision, then we could easily decide not to love despite our feelings of love. When is the last time you "fell in love?" Do you really think you could just say, no thanks, not interested in doing that right now?

Is it possible that God is so pre-occupied with me that He can't sleep at night so He just stays up watching me sleep?
This is an amazing picture of love in perhaps its most endearing state. C.S. Lewis writes, "Appreciative love gazes and holds its breath and is silent, rejoices that such a wonder should exist even if not for him, will not be wholly dejected by losing her, would rather have it so than never to have seen her at all." There is something about gazing at person, a place, or even God and just appreciating its very existence.