Tuesday, April 01, 2008

See, it's funny because...

So I have a friend who always has to explain his jokes. I keep telling him that, if he has to explain his humor, he is not funny. But he continues to say, "See, it's funny because..."

So I need to comment on yesterday's post (For no other reason than I don't want that up there past April 1!)

First, it was inspired by a friend and fellow pastor, Trevor, who sent out an email to his congregation announcing that they were building a new facility, complete with coffee shop and restaurant, etc. Trevor is leading a great congregation in Findlay and is doing some innovative things... but they, like us, are not exactly flush with the bucks. So when I got his announcement... I was lost. "What? Where are they getting the money?" Then he reminded us of the date. Very well done.

I rarely remember April Fool's Day. And I would have forgotten it this year if it wasn't for Trevor. He inspired me. (Breaks into Air Supply song --NO, NO, I STAND CORRECTED - CHICAGO-- "You're the meaning in my life, you're the inspiration.")

So, this post is funny because...

1. It begins with my true feelings. Honestly, the first thee paragraphs are pretty much what I would write if I were moving. Paragraph 3 actually brought tears to my eyes as I was writing it. Those are my feelings.

So, to you who said, "I figured you out in the first couple of paragraphs..." I don't think so. :)

2. I can't believe some of you fell for it! (which is way more disturbing than the "I figured you out" group.) I can't tell you the number of people who emailed me or called me to see if it was true! Wow. I'm speechless. Really. "Relevant? Chucky Cheese? Don't feel led but it sounds like fun? More money and bigger office? And, oh yea... talking monkeys? :)

But I'm honored and thankful for those of you who at least acted upset at the thought that I was leaving. One of you suggested the best April Fool's day response would have been to coordinate all of you into responding with the same sort of lame responses: "Oh, that's too bad. Oh well. [yawn]."

But in case you didn't get the joke: as far as I know... I'm still here. I have no plans on going anywhere. And although a move can always happen, I for one, am honored to be at Central and glad to still be here. There is still not place I would rather be and no people I would rather be with.

Oh... and... by the way... I'm pregnant.

11 comments:

mdog said...

oh, he's pregnant.

[yawn]





btw you're never allowed to leave

ls118003 said...

HAHAHAHA!!! No wonder you're excited about the Krispy Kreme down the road in Pickerington ...

Ty said...

"Air Supply "????? I really hate to say this (as in I am embarrassed to know...) but wasn't that Peter Cetera?? from Chicago???
ugh.

Trevor said...

I'm glad that I can finally inspired someone...if only for April Fool's Day. :-)

Anonymous said...

I was going to mention that that song is, in fact, by Chicago, but it seems that I've been beat to the punch. Dang.

paul said...

"song is by Chicago"

yep... I was wrong. (I say that a lot!)

But the fact that you both knew this (and state it with such conviction) is somewhat troubling. :)

Kellina said...

I'd love to get coffee sometime, and goodness, yes, I was one of those people who actually believed your blog, and was bit shocked and upset for a second or two.
I'll try to catch you on Sunday to talk about when, yaddayadda.

thea said...

Ok so I have to ask was the pregnancy thing inspired by my "joke" on Bob? Or are you looking for a way to make more cash and thought one of us might sell your story to the tabloids? just wondering.

paul said...

Yes Thea... [breaks into CHICAGO song: "You're the meaning in my life, you're the inspiration..."] My comment was inspired by you. :)

Teena Stewart, Author, Successful Small Groups from Concept to Practice said...

I still don't get it. But the pregnant part is funny!

paul said...

nice... now THAT is intimidating. Shall I tell my blog readers who you are? :)