Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Decision

I know it seems weird to break this news on my blog, but I will announce it on Sunday and decided that I wanted my blog friends to be the first to know.

Two weeks ago my District Superintendent approached me with an offer to move to a church in the Columbus area. Laura and I have talked about it, and after much struggle, prayer, thought and discussion, I have decided to leave Central and to move to Pickerington Community UMC effective this July.

This has been one of the hardest decisions I have ever made. We really love Central and Athens and thought we could spend the rest of our lives here. I never imagined I would be a part of a church like Central, let alone be the pastor. It really is an amazing place. And part of what makes Central amazing is many of you. I have a great staff, friends, a community that hungers for God... I have been blessed.

But Pickerington is a growing area, with lots of opportunity for building a church (amazing growth potential), they are visible in the conference (a chance for me to be relevant), they own lots of land, already have a really nice building AND they offered me twice the money with a really nice office. It was just too hard to turn down. Now, maybe, I will FINALLY be able to write my book. Granted, I'm not sure I feel "led" in any sense to move, but it just seems like more fun. And there is a Krispy Kream and Chucky Cheese right down the street! How can you beat that! Besides, the talking monkeys came to me in a dream the other night and told me that we should move. And I always listen to what the talking monkeys say. And they said "move" and to wish your friends a happy April 1.

13 comments:

JC said...

bwahahahaha!

never trust the talking monkeys! never! on the other hand, the talking wombats . . . .

Anonymous said...

grrrrr. what mdog doesn't do, i will finish. :-P

of course, by the opening of the last paragraph, i was totally on to your little prank. "relevant", right. and the krispy kremes line - classic!

well done. well done.

Anonymous said...

wahaha! Well done. I must admit my first reaction was, 'Pickerington is growing that much..?'

Andrew Luis said...

I haev tar and a bag of Feathers...grab your tourches and follow me...Theres no Justice like angry mob justice.

Sarah said...

If you'd spent that 20 minutes on your book instead, you'd have a chapter outline AND all of your friends still, too.

Good one.

thea said...

I'm in Andrew. I think we could take him. Paul, it's almost as funny as me telling Bob I'm pregnent. (Probably the best or worst joke I ever played on him. Depending on how you look at it.)
My first thought was NOT AGAIN!!

Anonymous said...

Paul: seeing as I may end up in the Columbus area, I was initially excited, but then I remembered what day it was, and skimmed to the bottom pretty quickly.

Listen to the monkeys, Paul. ;o)

Anonymous said...

hey paul,

you barely know me, but i attended Central while i was a student at Hocking College a few years ago ...you actually baptized me during my last year there. :) it is such a joy to read your blog and see that you all are doing well. i remember when Laura was pregnant, and now Lydia is so big! she's beautiful. :)

keep up the blogging so i can continue my online "stalking." and.. i'm glad you're not leaving central...i totally fell for it, though. :)

peace and god bless!

fuzzy_j said...

Wow, I'm embarassed to say that you got me. Although in retrospect some of it was sounding increasingly out of character...

Introspection: The sinking feeling i got tells me a bit about being somewhat dependent on your "relevant" messages.

bob
oh, check out me new blog:
http://fuzzyjello.blogspot.com/

bflick said...

Paul, I think I saw my life flash before my eyes.

Ty said...

somehow from our short conversation yesterday i knew this was coming...

good one!!!
i won't let mbob hurt you!

Anonymous said...

Silly Paul.

I had it figured out before I started the third paragraph. But I will admit that my heart skipped a beat.

But only for a second.

Kellina said...

haha. That was terribly frightening for the first minute or so...