Friday, April 25, 2008

Friends

There are few things better in life than a good friend. They are somewhat rare in this world, but you know them when you find them. Slowly you begin to trust them. Over time they prove themselves faithful. You observe their life and find that it is full of grace; not just with you but with others. They are real and allow you to be real.

In my world, people feel like they can say anything to me. Maybe that surprises you. Maybe you think that pastors have this "hedge of holiness" around them that intimidates people and keeps them from second-guessing you. I have never found that to be the case. (In fact, I have met people who think it is their life's calling -- and primary spiritual gift -- to second-guess me!) It is amazing how downright mean people can be to pastors -- I think because we are "safe."

My counseling professor in seminary said that pastors are "shock absorbers." We absorb other people's pain a lot of the time. He told us that people will take stuff out on us because they really want to take it out on their dad, or their boss, or the spouse, or the person who violated them when they were young... but those people are not safe. So we get it. We absorb the shock of others.

And that sounded so crazy in seminary... but it is so true. I have experienced it countless times.

A good friend can absorb your shock and your pain. They give when other people take. They are merciful... they "turn the other cheek."

And all of this is very....endearing. And pretty rare.

I'm very blessed and very thankful... and just wanted to say that before I went to sleep tonight.

Thanks friend.

[no comments necessary]

5 comments:

Rabbit-tracking Husband said...

Hm, I've never viewed relational intimacy in this fashion; or at least, have never thought of this aspect in relation to it. Thanks for the thoughts.

mdog said...

friends are awesome.

Teena Stewart, Author, Successful Small Groups from Concept to Practice said...

Paul,
My concern is for those pastors who take that "shock absorbing" too seriously. They either feel they need to fix other people's problems or they assume the blame of the other person's issues.
An occasional "shock absorbing" is what friends are for. Continuous "shock absorbing" can become abusive. That's when a pastor or friend needs to invite the other person to own their own anger.
I'm glad to count you as my friend. It may be easier to do so in a few months.

paul said...

Good point, Tom. I think there IS a time when people have to own their own pain... otherwise we are enabling. This is a good observation. I guess the shock absorber image is more of a picture of reality, than a picture of the way things should be.

And I count you as a friend too... and you are correct... that might be a little less awkward for me come July. :)

Sweet T said...

It's so funny that you wrote about friends because I was writing about friends as well. It really is rare. I hope for more. Thanks Paul