Sunday, April 06, 2008

"Drama" and worship

This week a number of us from Central are going to a conference at Willow Creek Church in Chicago. I'm sure that some of my readers may have negative opinions about Willow (or lump them into all the others in the "church growth" movement), but as someone who has followed them for quite some time, I think they have a ton of integrity and I am always inspired to worship and to love God more when I'm there.

So, I have to confess, I have a love for the dramatic.

Now, I'm not sure that "drama" is the right word, but I'm going to use it and maybe you will catch on to what I mean. I have always been into lights, drama, the set up of the physical space...etc. This is what engages and connects me. In fact, it just hit me this past week: This is often why much of the worship done is "contemporary worship congregations" (especially smaller ones) leaves me cold. There is no mystery. No symbolism. Nothing to connect me with the holy.

For years I have been in a constant discussion with the different people who lead worship at our church to "read scripture, add some creeds, string songs together" and none of them do that. Not one. Years and years of asking. Begging! And really, one morning last week, I just figured out why. It's not that they don't love God (although I always have some questions about Patrick and Kevin)...it's that they worship God out of simplicity.

I worship God out of complexity.

I had this conversation with my current worship leader the other day. He kept saying, "People need to be able to worship God no matter what the band sounds like or if there is no band. I should be able to make sounds on my armpits and people worship to that!" (Okay, I think I said that line, but I will credit him.)

And the whole time I was thinking, "Yea, I agree. Great theology of worship!" And he does have a great theology of worship. (Yea, please don't read this post as an inditement of Patrick. Few people I know have greater integrity.)

He is right... we SHOULD be able to worship to nothing or anything.

But just because we should be able to... does not mean we ought to.

I was created as this multi-sensory being. I was given emotions. I was given an intellect. I was given a desire to connect to my past. I was given a love for art and beauty. I was told, by this God who created me, that I was to engage with Him with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. So why just sing songs... when we can create experiences to connect with God. When I can be engaged with my mind and emotions... my love for beauty and mystery? Not all the time (not everyone gets into this) but some of the time. Most of the time?

This post was inspired by this clip. This is from an Easter service... and unfortunately, the person who shot it had a bit too much coffee that morning and they didn't hold onto the last image long enough. But I found myself captivated by it. I honestly think it is beautiful. And it moved me to worship.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting.

"i worship god out of complexity"

i think i'm with you to a point. the aesthetics of a service - lighting, words that are spoken, feel of the space i'm in - are important to me. i love what the windows at central add to our worship. and if we are gifted in art of any type, we should feel free to use our talents to lead others to worship.

at the same time, i wonder what would happen if you found yourself in a place completely and permanently void of all the 'drama'... (of course, i know you could still worship. but what would it look like?)

whew. i could go on and on...but i won't. :)

paul said...

BTW, before one of you reminds us that worship is not for us, but God... I want to remind you that, well... that is not QUITE theologically accurate. It is true that God is the object of our worship... so if that is how you define "worship" yep.. you are brilliant and correct.

But a gathering time (from OT times to now) has always been a time to express our love/worth to God... AND to have God speak to us. It has often involved symbol and song... props... community... art.

Also, I would argue that God is JUST as honored by an artist who paints or the visual artist who created that light poem as a congregation who sings songs or a quaker movement who sits and listens... although those are valid as well. Just bonus thoughts.

mdog said...

we've never read scripture or recited creeds or meshed songs together? [btw i take delight in all of those things as well].

to be honest, the clip doesn't do much for me. here is the thing: when you hire a worship leader, first and foremost, you are hiring a musician. and speaking for myself as a musician... "just" music is more or less enough for me.

that's not to say i don't LIKE other mediums... i'm just saying... you're not going to get blood from a turnip. don't ask me to become passionate about room setup or drama or lighting. if you want art, contact artists. if you want props and symbols, contact people who would be interested in that.

not trying to be obnoxious, just giving a different perspective.

bflick said...

I believe that drama can be done well and done just because you can. It takes a lot of work and prayer for it to be done well. God can use any number of ways to connect with different people. In our ever changing and fast paced culture I think there are times when we need the extravagant God and then there are times when we need the quiet and still God. The church today is in a good place to explore all the ways to worship, instead of being stuck in one method that someone decided was "correct"

"But just because we should be able to... does not mean we ought to"

Worship is not just about the music (it is for some people, especially muscians). All churches have a vast array of God given talent; music, art, dance, sign language, cooking, acting etc. All of these blessed by our Lord, given to us to respond to him and reach out to the hearts of others. As a church we would be foolish not to use these gifts and display them whenever we can. I think most people hide their talent because it is not commonly seen as "worship". Believe it or not, One of Destry's God given talents is to interpret light and how it influences the subconscious, it really affects him.

As an artist, I learn a lot from God out of just the process of putting on a "show". It is a gift that God has blessed me with. It is how I connect and worship God. I'm not sure how close the noises from the armpits would bring me to God, but you never know in the right place at the right time, with the right lighting :)

paul said...

what beth said. :)

mdog said...

don't forget the fog machines. :)

btw i want to make sure i didn't sound like i hate everything that isn't music. [for heaven's sake, i'm on creative team!]. talents are awesome! central has a lot of amazing people that worship God. and i love that.

Rabbit-tracking Husband said...

Hm; one thing I know I wrestle with (and maybe just me? I dunno) and one reason I enjoy simplicity in worship so much (though I have tried to egg Laura to slip in worship a bit more often; I also miss it, Paul!) is I like the feeling of meeting God in worship; not of being propelled or manipulated into meeting God in worship. So that is why I wrestle; the lights, sound, props, can all create really good and true feelings for worship of Christ; but they can and have been used in the worship of the earth, cows, etc. as well. Obviously, there is a difference between the two (one has God behind it, one doesn't), but I believe a lot don't know the difference. I feel like simplicity in worship lets me come to God (or not) at my own pace, instead of having my heartstrings tweaked to get me there regardless. Does this make drama in worship wrong for me? Absolutely not; but this is why I feel I can be less on my guard (is that the spirit of God or the spirited violin?) and more seeking to praise my Maker. I mean, yeah, everything manipulates our emotions, yada yada; but I feel like simplicity is often less...forceful about it? just my two cents worth. =)

paul said...

even "simplicity" can be very manipulative... and actually is at times.

fog machines... hummmmmmm

j.doc said...

i love your honesty here paul...i also have a love for [i prefer showmanship to drama]or whatever you want to call it but i think many people shy from it for two reasons. 1. they associate worship with singing...i.e. they haven't really understood that the concept of worship is much bigger than music. 2. there is a danger and/or perception that anything that isn't simple is entertainment. i never know where the line is between the two but i imagine it has a lot to do with the intention of the person showmanship-ing. :)

great post.

Kellina said...

Hmm. What I got while I was watching that video was a sense that there will people who put that together who use art and creativity and putting a production together to worship God. And then I was thinking about how you had those canvases up, and how painting, that Sunday, was one of the greatest worship experiences I've ever had. All because I could worship God with my hands in paint while I was in his house. I could use that special talent he gave me, in a whole new, wonderful way.