Monday, March 03, 2008

"The Envelope Please..."

Well, it turns out that Paul is a liberal.

Okay, a "progressive."

I scored a 66 one time and a 68 another (After reflection, I changed my answer to a question). It seems that Andrew wins the lunch. For the record, I really wanted to give it to SJW because her husband is a good kisser AND she was the first one gutsy enough to guess my score-- and was pretty darn close. But she did give a range, which felt like a copout... and Andrew guessed right between my two scores. So Andrew it is. (But I will invite SJW, her husband and daughter over for dinner as a constellation prize when we all stop being sick. And Beth gets honorable mention for the line, "I smell chicken." She ought to get something for that!)

I was honestly surprised about falling in the "progressive" camp. I'm still not sure I would define myself that way, or, that if held up to a someone who claims to be progressive, I wouldn't appear like a conservative. I guess it is all relative. Looking at the questions, there is a REALLY big difference between someone who scores a 68 verses a 90. Huge. But I did score higher than a couple of my colleagues who I thought much more liberal than me... which I found interesting.

This has been my story for a couple of years now. I often feel like a man without a theological home. The conservatives don't want me because I'm too liberal. And the liberals don't want me because I'm too conservative. I find myself standing with people in both camps, and sometimes repulsed by both camps. And to be honest, I often feel isolated among my colleagues who fit in these nice, neat little boxes.

On top of that, for some reason anymore, I really resent being labeled. I don't like to be put in boxes.

I spoke at an event in the fall, and when I went to register, I told them I was one of the speakers. They said, "Okay, are you conservative or liberal?" And I said... "yes."

[long pause]

[strange look]

[awkward pause as she waits for me to say more]

I mean, it does depend on what you are asking, right? I'm liberal in my use of chocolate, pizza toppings and love for my wife. I'm conservative in my use of mayo, my dress and anything having to do with Yanni. We actually got into a little fight because I refused to be put into a box so that they could put me into a discussion group.

But as much as I don't like to be labeled, I honestly think I have a particular fear of being labeled "liberal." Largely because all my life I have been taught that "liberal" is a theological cuss word.

Theological Liberals don't love or believe in Jesus.

Liberals don't believe in the bible. Liberals are "them."

But... see, here is the thing: I DO love Jesus and I DO believe in the bible... maybe more now than ever. I think I have a MUCH higher reverence for the bible than many of my more conservative colleagues. I just don't use the same words to describe it as I used to use.

My journey since seminary has been trying to reconcile what I read in the bible with...well...uh... what I read in the bible. I mean, we are all okay with reading James. Phillipians makes us generally feel really good. But then there are those tricky things. The "problem passages."

As Scot said, I'm fascinated "with the portions of the Bible we don't tend to read, passages like the story of Jephthah. Or how God was on the verge of killing Moses for not circumcising his son, and his wife stepped in, did what needed to be done, and tossed the foreskin at Moses' feet, and God let him alone."

"I have become fascinated with what goes on in our heads and our minds and our traditions (and the latter is far more significant than many of us recognize) in making decisions like this. What decisions? Which passages not to read as normative. The passages we tend not to read at all."

For the record, I still don't think I'm in the "theological liberal" camp. I know theological liberals, and I'm not one of them. I feel very comfortable in the moderate camp. In fact, in many ways I'm still a theological conservative.

But why does the Bride of Jesus Christ have so much fear? Why are we so afraid of having the wrong answers? And does this fear say something more about our faith, than which theological box we are stuffed into?

P.S.

I am thinking of going through some of the questions and talking about why I answered the way I did. If I get enough encouragement, I may do that. But I think I have said what I wanted to say.

10 comments:

Ty said...

mmmmm... here I thought I was doing good....

oh well.

And yes I AM a great kisser!! Thank you! =)

Anonymous said...

cool! dinner with everyone is a great runner-up prize. besides, i get to hang with your wife! bwahaha!

i think what gets me about exercises like this is that they could be a great tool for facilitating discussion, but usually they just end up creating division - or at best they create the perception of division. the last thing i want is to be separated from others that Christ loves unless their teachings are harmful or not in line with Scripture. excellent post, paul. :)

mdog said...

ooo, constellation prizes. like what? the big dipper? or orion?

Sarah said...

I'm interested in hearing more about your (or anyone's) answers. I mean, all of us would probably liked to have answered "it depends" to the majority of them, so an expounder would be interesting.

As for fear, I believe it's a hugely underestimated aspect of religious tradition and part of why the non-religious find religious culture so distasteful. I've never worried excessively about what God thinks of my theological or political views... can't say the same for people. But I'm learning to tell the difference. :)

Also, I am forced to type "wee" into the word verification box. That takes some of the pomp out of this comment.

Anonymous said...

Paul, this post really resonated with me. Thank-you.

Joel said...

Well, my score is a 72. I guess that makes me more progressive than you, Paul. But we knew that didn't we? (And also smarter, better looking and I can leap short buildings with a trampoline!). But, I get so tired of having to self-identify or (more likely) to be identified as Liberal, Progessive, Conservative, Fundamentalist, Middle-Of-The-Road (where we are most likely to get run over!!) or whatever. Even Emergent has baggage, doesn't it? Why can't we just talk, listen, agree where we do, disagree where we do and just love each other and serve God together?? Is that REALLY too much to ask? Is it REALLY?? We waste SO much of God's time on silly little issues and miss the boat so often.

Thanks for the chance to do this, Paul!! I love ya!!

Andrew Luis said...

And now Theological close mindedness from the conservative...The agree to dissagree stuff has started to bother me as of late. There is an absolute truth and we all probably agree on that point and agreeing to dissagree is not the antithasis of that, but for me a step in the wrong direction. Still it would be calous to think that at the end of a discussion on theology we would expect the loser to put thier tail between thier legs and renounce that aspect of thier belief and take on the other person's.

Still Paul is right about problem passages that conservative theologens need to deal with. I am with Wayne Grudem, the Bible can stand alone. Sure the context of some of these things might lubricate the process of understanding but the job of interpratation is not a product of our reeading and deduction but an act of Revelation fromt the Holy Spirit. I think of the Prodigal son up to his elbos in Swine Pooh, the text states, "when he came to his senses he said..."
It is the memory of a loving father that bring him to a place of repentance, a sudden apiphany, in my mind an act of revelation, brought on by his election (oooohhh Buzz word).

In a grand Irony today I am going to enjoy the fact that those of you who do disagree will do so in the vain of ageeing to dissagree. Is that a double standard?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

paul said...

oh my Andrew... not sure I want to open this can of worms.

Andrew Luis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrew Luis said...

You know I realized how inappropriate it is to open the doctrine of salvation can on a post about Hermenutics (sp?). Paul I think it would be fun to go to the matresses if you will but one thing at a time. Was it the commentary on open minded ness that you took issue with or my joke about election wich I will gladly retract for the sake of staying on topic.

For the record I am not equating election to conservative hermanutic. Its just how I came out at the other end.