Thursday, March 20, 2008

worthless idols

Jonah 2:6-8 (New International Version)

6 "To the roots of the mountains I sank down;
the earth beneath barred me in forever.
But you brought my life up from the pit,
O LORD my God.

7 "When my life was ebbing away,
I remembered you, LORD,
and my prayer rose to you,
to your holy temple.

8 "Those who cling to worthless idols
forfeit the grace that could be theirs."

________________________

"Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs."

Wow.

1 comment:

Kellina said...

Paul, I was thinking about this with my dad this past weekend, when I was with the family for Easter, and we feel that the most destructive and attractive idol is the self. People talk about humans being inherently evil, but I feel like humans have an innate sense of selfishness, and they can either choose to feed it, which is easy, or they can fight to feed the spirit instead, which is the much longer lasting, yet difficult, choice. Just something we we're thinking that goes along with idols.

Kelli L.