Sunday, July 29, 2007

Cheerful Gift, part 2 - the rest of the story

After years of ministry, I have found a new calling: scam-baiting.

Those of you who have received a real email from me know that my signature line is: "SPAM is evil... who really ever buys something from a spammer anyway?" I hate SPAM. I hate what SPAMMERS have done to an otherwise great tool for communication of information.

Well, apparently, there is a large group that has some fun with the SPAMMERS. They are called spam baiters... or 419ers.

So, what is scam baiting? Well, put simply, you enter into a dialogue with scammers, simply to waste their time and resources. Of course, in doing so, you also keep the scammers away from real potential victims.

Honestly, I don't have the guts to do this. (Although read the section about "Is it dangerous?"). But I would love to do this. So spend some time and so some research. Maybe we should all join the 419 team.

3 comments:

Sweet T said...

How's the knee? Are you moving around at all?

paul said...

I'm immobile for 6 weeks... meaning at this point, I have to have someone lift my leg to move it. I can use crutches, but am not supposed to move a lot. thansk for asking.

Jennifer said...

"Death threats are quite common, and are considered a trophy of sorts, especially the good ones"

I know I always value a good death threat....

I've always wanted to do this too, Paul, but mostly I'm afraid of doing a half-@ssed job: sending one email and then ignoring the rest. Or I'd spend too much time trying to cleverly respond to these guys. Plus, I'm not sure how I'd react if I did get death threats...even good ones.

Feel better, Paul.