Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Statistic

"80% of pastors' wives said that they wish their husbands would choose another profession." [Time Magazine, April 9]

"One of the realities that a pastor must face is that the church is the only mistress that he can commit adultery with and not be looked down upon. The church will cheer the hard working pastor, the one who is at every meeting and does it all…and then that same church will throw stones at the one they hailed as a hero when his marriage falls apart or his kids become hellions."

Perry Noble, pastor
New Spring Church

5 comments:

mdog said...

that kid's going to be a total hellion. i just KNOW it. [if nothing else, she'll be running red lights all over the place].

and we even canceled ct yesterday. ;) my work ethic wouldn't fit the pastor mold very well. or... maybe it should. you should try it sometime. except that weekend thing throws things off.

hope you're well, friend.

Patrick said...

Wait a minute. There are stones I could be throwing? Why don't people tell me these things sooner!

I'm going to start throwing stones at SPR if they don't call me with some info soon. For serious.

Anonymous said...

Interesting...

I wonder if all helping professions, and especially pastoral positions are a drain on personal relationships.

Andrew Luis said...

Eric Hoffman once told me something to the effect of: I love my wife, but she is going to get me fired one day. She says stuff on behalf of Area directors wives that is true but harsh. Every time she raises her hand at a Senior leaderrship event I think. "oh no this could be my last moments on Young Life staff."

Unknown said...

OUCH!!!
......How about this weather we're having? (or any topic other than my ministries effect on my personal life).

God bless my wife, because I don't nearly as much as I should.