Sunday, May 20, 2007

I'm glad I'm a man

So we had a discussion tonight at our church that I won't get into here. I thought it was well done and the panel did an excellent job. I respect each of the women on that panel tremendously and think they all love God and are biblically grounded. I also believe there is room for disagreement on issues in the body of Christ.


With that said (and because this is my blog and a place for me to voice my thoughts and struggles in a way I would not do from the platform), for those who were there, I will say this:

I'm glad I'm a man. Based solely on my gender, no one questioned my calling tonight. No one put limits on what I can or cannot do. No one restricted me. No one told me I was "equal," but then quickly put limits on my role. (Question: If we are equal but different, what are the "limiting roles" of men that make us different?).

Because I'm a man, I can serve God as I wish...

Because I'm a man.

And I went home, pulled my 2-year-old daughter out of bed, put my hands on her head, and prayed that she would be a women who found her sufficiency, identity and leading from God and God alone. And that she would be a passionate follower of Jesus who would live out her calling in whatever ways God was leading her.

I'm glad I'm a man.

And my daughter would be quick to say, "Actually, I'm 2 1/2"

4 comments:

JC said...

Mmmm...

I agree that all three women did a great job articualting their thoughts. I have tremendous respect for all three.

I too feel fortunate to be a man in regards to the freedom I enjoy. I understand wholly about your prayer for Lydia. I need to continue to pray the same for our three daughters.

paul said...

Mmmmmmm?

mdog said...

omg. i'm wondering about the "Mmmm..." as well.

anyone else reminded a little of animal farm?

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

JC said...

I suppose mmmm... wasn't the best choice there! That is not what I meant!!!! I was contemplating what you had shared, so I guess a Hmmmm... would have been a better expression. Amazing what a difference a missing "h" can make.