Saturday, May 30, 2009

John Wesley's questions

Some questions Wesley (who was the founder of the Methodist Movement) would ask himself at the end of the day. He required his pastors to do the same. Might not be a bad idea for any of us.

John Wesley’s Small Group Questions:

1. Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I am better than I am? In other words, am I a hypocrite?

2. Am I honest in all my acts and words, or do I exaggerate?

3. Do I confidentially pass onto another what was told me in confidence?

4. Am I a slave to dress, friends, work , or habits?

5. Am I self-conscious, self-pitying, or self-justifying?

6. Did the Bible live in me today?

7. Do I give it time to speak to me everyday?

8. Am I enjoying prayer?

9. When did I last speak to someone about my faith?

10. Do I pray about the money I spend?

11. Do I get to bed on time and get up on time?

12. Do I disobey God in anything?

13. Do I insist upon doing something about which my conscience is uneasy?

14. Am I defeated in any part of my life?

15. Am I jealous, impure, critical, irritable, touchy or distrustful?

16. How do I spend my spare time?

17. Am I proud?

18. Do I thank God that I am not as other people, especially as the Pharisee who despised the publican?

19. Is there anyone whom I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, hold resentment toward or disregard? If so, what am I going to do about it?

20. Do I grumble and complain constantly?

21. Is Christ real to me?

4 comments:

Daniel said...

Paul, Wesley's questions can be quite convicting. I struggle with the question "If folks see me or meet me, would they identify me as a Christian?". I have the nagging feeling that the answer is no. Not because I engage in sinful behavior out in public, but more so because I don't reflect God's light or his love. I have so much to work on, but, at least for me, the first step on the road is recognition. Thanks for the post today.

Carrie said...

Good post. Thought provoking.
~Always~

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this, Paul. I think I'll print these out for future reference.

Jennifer V.

Sarah said...

"If so, what am I going to do about it?"

I think this is the best question.