Sunday, November 04, 2007

Now for something different


I've been a fan of Julian Beever since 1999. I saw one of his chalk drawing in Chicago a number of years ago... and it is really stunning. His work has been the subject of email spam for a couple of years, but to see it live is something you will never forget.

He uses a technique called anamorphosis - which is a way to do perspective art so that something "abnormal" looks "normal" when viewed in a strange or different angle. Done well, anamorphosis can create the illusion of three dimensions. I actually studied this process taking some art classes and as a magician... it's actually used a LOT in magic (but don't tell anyone!).

So... I think Julian's work is a feast for the eyes. I have included some pictures here, but for more of his work, you can surf the web and find a bunch of stuff.








9 comments:

Anonymous said...

:-0

that is amazing! if only i had half of the talent it takes to do that....

mdog said...

omg. that is insane.

Anonymous said...

That is the coolest thing ever. I'm trying to imagine how long it must take to do some of those....

bflick said...

I hope it doesn't rain. It takes alot of will power as an artist to do something that takes so much time, and then to let it only last as long as nature allows it. Imagine all the pieces he spent hundreds of hours on... takes a picture... then it rains!

Sarah said...

Absolutely wild. Exhibit B as to why I never worry about artificial intelligence taking over the world (see PC Hell for Exhibit A).

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is really cool. Definitely have to have an amazing artist's eye and perspective.

j.doc said...

i LOVE his artwork...it makes me really happy! thanks for posting it! :D

ls118003 said...

Wow. Kind of reminds me of M.C. Escher, who also has more artistic talent in one hair on his head than I do in my entire body.

Valor said...

Way Cool!!!! Thanks for sharing this art with all of us...and yes I'm still reading your blogs [You did once ask about that!]