Monday, December 11, 2006

Journal Entry: Thursday, November 30

"As I write this I'm in Honduras with a team of folks from Central: Larry and Mary Tracy, Maru, Jared, Tina, Wendy, Karen and myself. So far, I hate it. I'm ashamed to say that... but quite honestly I have a lot of fear at this point. I can't put my finger on it. I have fear of all kinds of stuff: getting sick, finding 'things' in my room, getting hurt... I fear facing the truth of my life and all the privilege in which I currently live. And I hate that I'm fearful. I just am.

Montana De Luz is nice enough, although it is way below the standard of living in which most Americans are used to: it is more like a summer camp. But how many summer camp staff tell you: "Make sure you check your bed for scorpions before you get in..." (and then tell you a story of someone who didn't and regretted it!).

What would it be like to live like this all the time? Or worse? Actually, the accommodations here are much better than the vast amount of Honduras. The water is safe to drink. There is a roof over our heads. There is a certain level of sanitation as all the kids have HIV and compromised immune systems. So in a sense, we are very pampered. But right now... I'm not feeling very pampered."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i don't really have anything to add. just wanted to say that i appreciate your candor.