Thursday, December 14, 2006

Journal Entry: Friday, December 1

Wow, what a difference a single day makes. Honestly, I'm still not crazy about the idea of running into creepy crawlers in my bed, but this place grows on you quickly.

Today, we began working at Montana De Luz property. We broke into two teams and worked on two different projects, but we were all working in the same area, which was great. The group I was not a part of dug up these square sewer thingys (That is the technical name).

So let me begin by saying that Larry J. is one of the hardest working people I have ever met. I don't know for sure, but I think he is around 70. He looks MUCH younger and acts even younger than he looks. Every day, he was the first to start working and the last to leave. And the man works hard. I thought he was a great witness to the Honduran workers.

My group worked on replacing and "cleaning" playground sand. Basically, we shoveled the sand from the sandbox, put it in wheelbarrows, wheeled it around to the back of a building, dumped it, and wheeled the wheelbarrows back... this time with kids! The children were on break, so they spent a lot of time with us, which was fantastic.

Life here is simpler, although their lives are more complex. The kids all are HIV positive, and have a daily medical routine and regular doctor visits. There is so much more to worry about here, but they seem to worry less. Does that make sense? The kids just have a freedom that comes... I guess from just being a kid. But I'm glad they have at least that.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Paul, I've really enjoyed this insight you've given us into the Honduras trip and your thought processes. Thanks for being honest and vulnerable.

I look forward to hearing more about your trip.