Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Celebrity Pastors

So I'm at a pastor's conference. It's at a very large church in AZ. The church has 11,000 people a weekend, it has a great facility, tons of programs, etc.

So honestly time: a lot of times when I go to these things I feel REALLY insignificant. I mean I pastor a church of 250+ in a small college town. I'm sitting at these tables with pastors of churches in the thousands. (It's funny how we know that early on... it is our way of putting people on the pecking order I guess). Our church building could fit in their worship center with ease.

And so we listen to these pastors talk about growing your church. (If I hear another, "when we planted our church we were 4 people in my living room and now we are running 8 bizzillion people a weekend" story I'm going to throw up.)

Now, I really am in awe to see God work. Really I am. And I must confess to some level of envy. In my mind, I would love to lead a church like this. So I realize that some of what I'm about to write is tainted with sin...

But I think it's really tempting to measure success by the world's standards. Yes, a local congregation must grow if it is being faithful to the gospel. But what that looks like is very different based on your cultural setting.

And I'm tired of celebrity pastors. If I ever write a book, if I put my face of the cover and my name in a bigger font than the title, would one of you come and track me down and tell me to get off my high horse and get a life? Thanks.

I want to do something significant for God. I want my life to have an impact. And honestly, I look at places like this and I don't feel like I'm doing all that much. Please understand, I'm not depressed as such... just wondering what faithfulness and fruitfulness looks like in my setting.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find your desire to pastor a very large church interesting, Paul, because I grew up in a mega-church. We had around 8,000 - 10,000 members. (It's The Chapel in Akron, if anyone wants to know.) Mine wasn't quite as "mega" as some of these churches--I'm pretty sure the pastor hasn't published any book, let alone one with his face on the cover. These churches may look great number wise, but I'm not sure they serve a community nearly as well as a smaller church can. I could walk in and out of The Chapel and no one would know if I was visiting or if I had been attending my entire life. It is hard to connect to people because you might never see the person in the pew next to you again. If I attended there regularly, and then disappeared, no one would know whether I had stopped coming, or just switched to one of the four other services. The Chapel tries to create community there through small groups, and probably does a decent job, but basically they spend their time and energy trying to recreate what small churches have without trying: a place where you are recognized and your name is known (Cheers without the alcohol).

I remember being invited by Katie and Jared to come play cards at your house. I was floored by the whole experience. I was playing cards with the pastor!!! At his house! Guess how many times I've been to Knute Larson's (head pastor at The Chapel) house? Zero. Would he even know my name? Nope. And I was there regularly for 18 years, and was involved in youth group, etc. Of course, there were youth pastors there who did know my name and whose houses I did TP, I mean visit. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't let yourself get too enamored with big churches. Even when it's done well (sans ego) it will have to struggle to be more like a small church.

Oh, and also, Central has way better graphics than The Chapel did. ;)

kristin said...

along with what jennifer said, you have to remember that the college town rarely ever stays. that being said, i know of 5 or 6 people that have moved out of athens and still go to church and impact other churches. if you are into the win, build and send theory- i would say that central is toootally succeeding.

i know that you don't really know me, but that was the choice i made to help out a little at church (aka greeter 10 times) and help a little more with Christian campus activity. i would say that central has a great body, is serving the community well and is making faith a foothold of someone's life so they take it where they go after college. they can survive, seek another church with great values (aka not a cult- good seminar a couple years back) and continue growing in faith and also push others with the knowledge they gained from attending in athens.

mdog said...

i echo the above comments. a church i used to go to has one of those "started off with four people in a basement" stories. they're probably nearing 1000 now, not 8 bazillion, but... that's really pretty big for a small town. however... on the road to growth, and with a big focus on sunday morning services, the interpersonal small group aspect seems to have fallen by the wayside. and it's really starting to affect that community.

question: is growth worth it if it is not healthy?

i've only been around for a couple of years, but i think our church is a pretty healthy place. i don't think this town could ever sustain a "big" church... it's just far too transient.

"I want to do something significant for God. I want my life to have an impact."

we may stare at you like deer in the headlights on any given sunday, it's true. but beneath the dull caffeinated glazes i do believe there is significant impact happening... i really, truly do.

we don't need rob bell or bill hybels or rick warren.

we have bloggingpaul.

i can't wait for the book.

SAM said...

Poor Abraham only had two sons. I wonder how he felt at gatherings where other leaders had large families. He was supposed to be blessed, but on the outside and from man's perspective his family was small.

It is never the size of your church, but what God does with the people that attend :)