Friday, April 20, 2012

Excited

I'm doing something called the "CHIP" program [Complete Health Improvement Program]. I've been needing to make some changes to the way I see food and I thought this would be helpful. It's a move to a more plant-based, whole-foods diet. There is a big emphasis on eating "food as grown." In short, it's a vegan diet. Now, I have no intention on becoming a vegan, or even a vegetarian for that matter. But there is no doubt I can learn a LOT from eating a more plant-based diet. Overall it's going well.

 But this post is not about being a vegan or a vegetarian. It's not even about food.

The interesting thing about this program is how excited people get about it. (They say they are getting "chipper" about it. Groan.)

Granted, it's making a difference is people's lives. I know diabetics who are going off insulin, several people going off blood pressure medication, people losing weight. I myself will testify to weight loss, lower blood pressure, more energy, less hunger -- honestly, pretty impressive. And because people have experienced this change, they are excited. And they tell people.

 And then I think of the gospel.

I know Christians in this program -- or those who have gone through this program -- who are more excited about CHIP than they are about their faith in Christ. Now, they probably wouldn't say that, but it is how they act and live. They talk about CHIP/diet all the time. They tell their friends. They give them books. They invite them to lectures.

And yet I don't see this kind of contagious enthusiasm manifested in their life with Christ.

And I'm simply asking why.

I'm asking it for me too.

 Why don't I talk about the difference Jesus has made in my life more?

I've actually been thinking about this a lot the past several days and I don't have a complete answer. But for me, at least partially, it's because I have never really known life without Christ.

Granted, I've had times where I wasn't following Jesus. I certainly have had times where I haven't walked closely with God. But for the most part, I've always had faith in Christ as a part of my life -- even the presence and leading of the Spirit. So I don't appreciate the change that Christ had made.

Maybe this is why Revelation 2 reminds us to "remember the heights from which you have fallen."

So I've been thinking about the person I used to be and how Christ has changed my life over the years. And it's really hard to do. Sometimes the change is so slow that you don't notice it. But there is no doubt it is there. Sometimes I wish I could see and remember more clearly the person I used to be.

But I do know that I've changed. And it has been because of the Spirit at work in my life.

Still, why are we (I?) not as excited about the difference Christ is making in this world as the difference CHIP is making?

5 comments:

Sue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sue said...

Reasons why? Risk, Jesus getting "lostin translation" and space to have these conversations. That is why blogs are so cool!.

Daniel said...

Paul, you have raised some great points. I have had people that I trust (you included) tell me how they have seen changes in me since I became a Christ follower. However, most of these changes I cannot appreciate because I just don't see them. So, I guess this is just human nature. It doesn't matter what the subject is. As for me personally though, I know that I have told more people about Christ than I have told about the CHIP diet (mostly because I have never heard of it until now).

David Lyell said...

Oh boy, there are a lot of directions I want to take this.

First thought was total agreement with this injustice of excitement.

Second thought, maybe we should be comparing the CHIP program to a fad-like christian resource...Disciple Bible study? I know its still popular, but the point is that its a delivery device for Christianity. Chips is a delivery device for "Weight loss", and we know the pessimistic attitudes that are attributed when we talk about weight loss in general, apart from fad-diets that actually "work".

Third thought, I think people do get excited about their faith. We might just talk about it round-about ways. How many folks have you told about carpenter recently? Maybe there is a difference when we talk about what God is doing, and plainly about him?

There, you have my stream of consciousness. ;)

Dave said...

Maybe CHIP is providing something the church is failing to provide? Shalom, wholeness, comradery, a sense of well being, hope, fellowship, something tangible that we can do, and dare I say, truth? Maybe some of these things are lacking in the church, or maybe they have just become so familiar that we no longer notice them? Maybe it is a fad, but form me it is more than a fad. I have experienced the change, want to maintain it, and want to share it with others.

For me it is a form of practical Christianity as I apply some of God's truth to my life . All truth is God's truth