Saturday, April 09, 2011

Leaving, on a jet plane...

So I'm sitting in the Columbus Airport at AA gate 32. My flight doesn't leave for an hour, but I'm one of those, "get-to-the-airport-really-early-so-you-can- leisurely-stroll-to-the-gate-and-watch-the-people-who-show-up-5-mintues-before-boarding-run-like-their-hair-is-on-fire" kind of guys.

I'm actually flying to California to have lunch with John Ortberg (see previous post). I'm also visiting their other sites to see if I can get a better sense of how they do the multisite thing. Turns out I also get to attend an meeting of the executive team to do some strategic planning, meet with some staff and attend a creative team meeting. I'm pretty excited.

People have asked me if I'm nervous or if I fear anything about meeting him. Honestly, what I fear most is being perceived as a stalker. I mean, really -- I'm flying to California JUST to have lunch with this guy.

I actually think I have a healthy perspective on "celebrity." Plain truth -- in many ways John has been my pastor and mentor through his writing. (Pastors don't get a lot of pastors as we are usually pretty busy on Sundays.) I respect him a great deal. But although I deeply respect John, I really am not all that star struck.

Although, just for fun, my wife and I began a list of "Top 10 ways to make this lunch really, really, uncomfortable for John."

# 10. Have a shirt made with his head on it (older Central folks, think of the Aaron S. floating head shirt). Have something printed on the back like, "I [heart] John Ortberg."

#9. Bring a stack of his books (yes, I own all of them-- and a couple I have multiple copies) along with a pen to the lunch. Ask him to sign them all, "To my best friend Paul. I will never forget this wonderful day together. Let's do lunch again! Love, your friend, John."

#8. Bring a photographer along and stage random "grip and grin" photo ops. At various points throughout the afternoon, just throw my arm around him and smile. [FLASH!]

#7. Pull a picture out of my wallet and say, "Here's a favorite one I have of you and your family on that secluded beach. I had to use a really big zoom lens but eventually I worked my way closer."

I have a couple of more, but the plane is here. Time to fly.

But feel free to add to these. I would love your ideas. BTW, his wife nancy is joining us, so I also thought about asking for really explicit marital advice....

6 comments:

Daniel said...

Hey, hope you get a lot out of this trip that helps to bring perspective. My church is now about a month into multisite. They are already working to set up a third site in the near term. By the way, your #7 is the funniest thing I have read today, although at the moment I have been poring through a stack of journal publications on theory models.

David Lyell said...

Man, that sounds like a lot of fun. Look forward to reading some take-aways and impressions!

Its funny because you are that pastor for quite a few of us "next-gen" intern folk, we get all giddy when we visit you in Athens ;)

paul said...

Daniel -- #7 was written by my wife. Rats. :)

David -- I'm taking him out to lunch. You are always welcomed to take ME out to lunch. Wait... in fact, I would take YOU out to lunch.

mdog said...

top ten lists - yay!! ;)

Beth said...

I would love to have been your photographer :)

paul said...

Beth, the job is yours! Can you be here by 11:30 tomorrow? Bring as much gear as you can. A few cameras strapped around your neck. A couple of camera bags. The biggest lenses you have. And the louder the shutter click, the better.