Thursday, August 14, 2008

[New Link] Pray for...

Okay, no matter where you stand on the political spectrum, I'm curious to know what you think of this:



Do you think this honors God?

Do you really think that God is on the side of one political candidate because of a single issue?

Now, I'm not sure you can talk about Jesus and not be "political," but as a pastor, I strive to be non-partisan -- in that I'm an equal-opportunity offender.

But as a blogger, I just going to say this: This sickens me beyond belief.

Now, feel free to disagree. We can still be friends. Really.

But I think this is arrogant, manipulative... I could go on but I'm going to show restraint. To be clear, I'm pro life. I think abortion is a big issue... and Christians need to wrestle with it. (Of course, we also need to wrestle with the place of law in changing the human heart, and why most pro-life people are only pro-life for unborn babies, but that is a different post.) Okay, I'm not going to rant.

I WILL say that some friends of mine (and fellow Centralites) just gave me one of the great moments in blogging history. Surf on over and check out their response to this clip.

15 comments:

sam said...

go ahead paul, rant away! let it all out! just remember what happens when you complain about the religious right on your blog - you get caught ;)

COLORADO said...

I don't like the idea of praying for boils... this face is my money maker.

paul said...

LOL @ "face is my moneymaker." That depends on which B. wrote this. If it was Todd... um... well... er... :O)

mdog said...

this makes me want to swear a lot.

Anonymous said...

Can I pray for rain? Yes, but it doesn't change the fact that God will put whomever he so pleases into office, so I'll just thank him for the fact that we have such freedoms as voting in our country.

Boils on the other hand...

Haha. :)

Jenlyn said...

This seems to be a case of forests and trees.

People tend to get so stuck in people sized things (our national election, other nations elections, our opinions, our ideas, what morality ought to be) that we forget about God sized things. We get it set into our minds that we know best, we know what God wants (on both sides, not just the right) and that the other side is wrong and God will some day make them pay.

We forget that God used both Moses and Pharaoh. That both were part of the plan, the God sized plan, the getting the chosen people out of Egypt for the glory of God plan. Regardless of any body's ideas on anything.

So sure, you can pray for rain. But I'd argue that you're missing the point. You ought to be asking God for better things. You know, God sized things beyond the petty squabbles of men.

passporter said...

I can't take credit for this one. The conceptualization was a joint creative work, but Daniel did all the execution:)

passporter said...

It just makes me insane. I am so tired of the utter BS of "Jesus is a Republican." But what I'm even more tired of is Christian "leaders" behaving like this.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

they took the video down before i could watch! grrr to internet censorship. sigh. too bad - looks like this would have been something that may have raised my otherwise low blood pressure...

Anonymous said...

um....how in the world did i post twice?

i'm no longer sure i like vienna, paul...

paul said...

i removed it for you. :)

if you double click on the article, it take you to the page. I don't comment from Vienna.

Sarah said...

Good commentary. Is the Kingdom of God compatible with the kingdoms of the world? (Including the U.S.?)

@Stephen - Why vote? ;)

mdog said...

another link to the same video here.

Andrew Luis said...

Praying for rain, so crazy it might just...hay wait a sec am I typing this (JK, its pretty ubsurd, but then again we can take heart in living in such freedum that this guy can post such molarchy)