Thursday, May 22, 2008

Steven Curtis Chapman

Steven Curtis Chapman was a huge influence in my early days as a Christian. I loved (and still love) his music, but I think I was more impacted by his apparent integrity, humility, honesty, and love for God and people. Steven and Mary Beth are also a big promoters of adoption, having formed an organization called Shaohannah’s Hope to aid families who want to adopt but can't afford it.

Their youngest child (Maria) died Wednesday evening after being accidently struck by their car in the driveway. The driver, was one of their other sons.

I can't imagine losing a child. Counseling people tell me that death of a child is the worst grief; worse than losing a spouse, or sibling or parent. Many couples who lose a child to death, their marriages don't survive or are permanently damaged.

But I really can't imagine how difficult this situation must be on a family. Even though this appears to be an accident, the feeling of guilt and blame and regret would be overwhelming. The feelings of guilt of the son. The resentment and anger that might be felt by the parents. The questions.

Only God.

Only God can heal stuff like this. And you know, in this life, we all know people who never recover... even after giving it to God. But if you have a moment, please pray for this family. My prayer is that in the midst of this they will experience healing, grace, forgiveness and the strong presence of the One who makes all things new.

"Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, 'Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.' He who was seated on the throne said, 'I am making everything new!' Then he said, 'Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.'"

No comments: