Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

To my readers who are moms, "Happy Mother's Day!"

This is my mom (um... the one on the right). She is the greatest. It's funny, I realize my wife is a mom, but at this point, equating Mother's Day with her just seems a bit strange. Mother's Day is for MY mom. Who, unfortunately, is living in Florida and I never get to see on Mother's Day. (I really wanted to spend the day with her. I guess I just miss my mommy.)

More and more I realize who I am has been shaped by my parents. So much of me... formed by mom and dad. I was thinking last week: my love for cooking, reading and study I got from mom (she is a fantastic cook -- my brother was a chef and I know how to boil a mean cup of water myself). We both got that from her.

It's funny what you remember about your childhood. I can always remember asking my mom questions... and her answering them. I remember conversations... even as a little kid. So often, I hear kids ask, "Why?" and parents just ignore it. (They ask why a LOT!). But my memory is that my mom always answered that question. And to me... it was not about the answer... but that she communicated with me.

I have always thought (and still think) that my mom is one of the two smartest women in the world (I have to put my wife up there too!). She was an amazing English teacher (5th grade) and was a school principal (2 elementary schools and a Jr. High). As a magician who used to do school assembly shows, I could tell a good principal from a bad one pretty easily -- simply by the behavior of the students when they gathered together for an assembly. My mom's schools were always amazing. Well behaved. Well-Mannered. She always commanded respect. I always loved my mom... but I also have a great deal of respect for her. She is a strong, bright, talented woman. Much of what I look for and respect in women, I got from her. (Those of you who know me know I'm drawn to friendships with strong, smart women... I want someone who can spar with me. :)

I just really like my mom.

And soon, my parents are coming home. And I hope they will spend as much time with us as they possibly can. I still have lots to learn.

You know, I was going to write more... but I just decided to call my mom instead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great post. And I love the photo. thanks for sharing.